Servo Arm Control

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokerMan

Reaction score
Greetings, this is my first post since I am a software / electronics person with limited mechanical knowledge.

I have a poker system with a custom table design: http://LiveVideoDealers.com

Under the table I have a servo connecting a 2 foot aluminum arm bracket which contains a standard web camera at the end. I want to use a servo motor (Hitec HS-422) to control the arc of the arm bracket in order to position the camera under each seat position in order to video capture the dealt hole cards.

The problem is that the web cam is rather heavy, maybe 6 or 7 ounces, and this puts strain on the arm bracket and the servo motor itself. I have thought about counterbalancing the bracket, but the length of the arm required for counterbalancing may hit the card dealer since it would be too long in order to be effective. I also thought of having a separate arm controlled by some gear ratio, but alas, I am not mechanically inclined.

I was hoping one of you mechanical engineers could help me with a simple solution.

Kind regards, PokerMan

View attachment TableAssembly.pdf

Just put a rolling roller support out at the end near the camera.  Can't see any reason that you wouldn't be able to add that support out at that end. It could either attach to the table underside and the arm could hang from it, or it could even track on the floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back