Any good CA survey review class? Study hours?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AyanHein

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm planning to take CA Survey exam along with NCEES 8 hours exam in April 2017. I have taken 2 undergrad survey classes back in college. My questions are:

1. Does any of you have suggestion for survey review class either seminar or on demand?  

2. How long did you study for survey exam or how long do you suggest to study?

Thanks in advance. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I'm planning to take CA Survey exam along with NCEES 8 hours exam in April 2017. I have taken 2 undergrad survey classes back in college. My questions are:

1. Does any of you have suggestion for survey review class either seminar or on demand?  

2. How long did you study for survey exam or how long do you suggest to study?

Thanks in advance. 
I read somewhere that EET will be offering survey classes for Spring 2017. If that is the case, then go for that. Otherwise, my suggestion is to buy Reza's workbook and then sign up for the course at cpesr.com.  They have practice CBTs that are very helpful along with webinars. However, the number of practice problems there are not enough, in my opinion. So, Reza's workbook will be the perfect supplement. It will be an expensive solution though, but if you pass on the first try, then it will be worth it. Also, I believe you can write it off during taxes to ease the pain a bit, in case you are not reimbursed at work.

Good luck.

I read somewhere that EET will be offering survey classes for Spring 2017. If that is the case, then go for that. Otherwise, my suggestion is to buy Reza's workbook and then sign up for the course at cpesr.com.  They have practice CBTs that are very helpful along with webinars. However, the number of practice problems there are not enough, in my opinion. So, Reza's workbook will be the perfect supplement. It will be an expensive solution though, but if you pass on the first try, then it will be worth it. Also, I believe you can write it off during taxes to ease the pain a bit, in case you are not reimbursed at work.

Good luck.
Thank you Maji. I just called EET and they confirmed that they will be offering survey review for April 2017. In that case, I might just go with EET, but your suggestion of taking CEESR and work on Reza's workbook is another great idea as well. 

Thank you Maji. I just called EET and they confirmed that they will be offering survey review for April 2017. In that case, I might just go with EET, but your suggestion of taking CEESR and work on Reza's workbook is another great idea as well. 
I second Maji. First time didn't go so hot with just the workbook that I got. I also borrowed another workbook from a friend. No dice. Mind you that both of those books are basically the same. You'll find that one is better laid out and explained depending on your background.

This time, I have my workbook and CPESR (It comes with a formula book, pre-recorded videos, CBT simulations and prompt responses to emails). Coming from someone with no survey background and having studied (what I thought was pretty **** hard the first time), I'm finding that I've learned just a couple new things with CPESR's videos (not to say nothing so I must have actually put in some good studying). I've supplemented the formula book as well because I'm not too crazy about their layout in some parts even though now I'm used to it. But the best part for me is the CBT simulations I'm doing at the moment and the quizzes they have after each video session. My problem was exposure to a variety of problems (not just end-of-chapter problems) and getting a handle on time management.

If Reza's had CBT simulations this summer, I would have taken it. He made some good points when I spoke to him and everyone who has taken his classes have had great reviews but I felt more comfortable using my other workbook along with CPESR. As far as I know, Mansour now has CBT simulations. Most people will do fine without them. I just needed that.

We'll see how this choice pays off on Monday :-D

Good luck!

I second Maji. First time didn't go so hot with just the workbook that I got. I also borrowed another workbook from a friend. No dice. Mind you that both of those books are basically the same. You'll find that one is better laid out and explained depending on your background.

This time, I have my workbook and CPESR (It comes with a formula book, pre-recorded videos, CBT simulations and prompt responses to emails). Coming from someone with no survey background and having studied (what I thought was pretty **** hard the first time), I'm finding that I've learned just a couple new things with CPESR's videos (not to say nothing so I must have actually put in some good studying). I've supplemented the formula book as well because I'm not too crazy about their layout in some parts even though now I'm used to it. But the best part for me is the CBT simulations I'm doing at the moment and the quizzes they have after each video session. My problem was exposure to a variety of problems (not just end-of-chapter problems) and getting a handle on time management.

If Reza's had CBT simulations this summer, I would have taken it. He made some good points when I spoke to him and everyone who has taken his classes have had great reviews but I felt more comfortable using my other workbook along with CPESR. As far as I know, Mansour now has CBT simulations. Most people will do fine without them. I just needed that.

We'll see how this choice pays off on Monday :-D

Good luck!
Thank you jijir83. My problem might be available study time for survey exam aside from 8 hours exam. I assume i'd need 250 hours for 8 hours exam and mininum 100 hours for survey (prefer 150 hours just like @ptatohed suggested in sticky post). It'll be very hard for me to squeeze 400 hours in 5 months since i have a baby and family. So i'll be focusing on 8 hours exam then study whatever available time i have for survey exam.

Thank you jijir83. My problem might be available study time for survey exam aside from 8 hours exam. I assume i'd need 250 hours for 8 hours exam and mininum 100 hours for survey (prefer 150 hours just like @ptatohed suggested in sticky post). It'll be very hard for me to squeeze 400 hours in 5 months since i have a baby and family. So i'll be focusing on 8 hours exam then study whatever available time i have for survey exam.

Let's see how much time you need to study for surveying... This is based on the two surveying classes you took and assuming that you remember some of the basic stuff. Of course this is a rough estimate and it will be more (for old geezers like me) or less (possibly for the smart ones like you).

Watch all the CPESR Videos = 12 hours (EET videos will probably be 40+ hours based on my experience with their Seismic, which was over 55 hours. However, the depth that EET videos go into is phenomenal and they assume that your background knowledge is very limited or none).

Work out all the CPESR exercise problems (twice) = 10 hours

Work out all the problems in Reza's workbook (twice) = 40 hours

4 CBTs from CPESR (twice + review of 1/2 hr per try) = 24 hours

Total = 84 hours, say 80 hours for surveying.

Also, you will need about 200 hours for the 8 hour Civil. Thus you will need a total of 280 hours.

With your baby, I will say realistically you will be able to study 12 hours a week. That is assuming 2 hours/6 days a week with one day off for family activities. Do not underestimate the  time off that you will need to keep yourself focused and your family happy.  Thus, you will need 280/12 = 24 week approximately or about six months. That means you got to start studying right away for the next session. As the exam nears, the last month you probably can squeeze in 16 hours/week where the last 4 hours are added during the weekend. Work out a schedule and see how much you time you can afford. Also, with a baby, you have to think about time required to attend to the baby's needs including regular MD visits etc. Those are the norm with a baby, so you need to work that into your schedule/routine.

Good luck.

Let's see how much time you need to study for surveying... This is based on the two surveying classes you took and assuming that you remember some of the basic stuff. Of course this is a rough estimate and it will be more (for old geezers like me) or less (possibly for the smart ones like you).

Watch all the CPESR Videos = 12 hours (EET videos will probably be 40+ hours based on my experience with their Seismic, which was over 55 hours. However, the depth that EET videos go into is phenomenal and they assume that your background knowledge is very limited or none).

Work out all the CPESR exercise problems (twice) = 10 hours

Work out all the problems in Reza's workbook (twice) = 40 hours

4 CBTs from CPESR (twice + review of 1/2 hr per try) = 24 hours

Total = 84 hours, say 80 hours for surveying.

Also, you will need about 200 hours for the 8 hour Civil. Thus you will need a total of 280 hours.

With your baby, I will say realistically you will be able to study 12 hours a week. That is assuming 2 hours/6 days a week with one day off for family activities. Do not underestimate the  time off that you will need to keep yourself focused and your family happy.  Thus, you will need 280/12 = 24 week approximately or about six months. That means you got to start studying right away for the next session. As the exam nears, the last month you probably can squeeze in 16 hours/week where the last 4 hours are added during the weekend. Work out a schedule and see how much you time you can afford. Also, with a baby, you have to think about time required to attend to the baby's needs including regular MD visits etc. Those are the norm with a baby, so you need to work that into your schedule/routine.

Good luck.
Thank you Maji. I estimate that i would need 200-250 hours for 8 hour exam and around 100 hours for surveying. I plan to study 10 hours a week from mid November to January with 2 hours on weekend and 1 hour everyday on weekdays. I'll increase my study hours to 15-18 hours a week in Feb, March and April. Total estimation come out around 300-330 hours give or take. I wanted to try all 3 exams to have experience on both survey and seismic, but knowing that i wouldn't be able to study enough for all 3, i think i would be a waste of trying all 3 in same exam cycle. I look at both practice exams from survey and seismic, and survey seems like a harder exam with less study time needed while seismic seems like a bit easier than survey exam but more study hours are needed because it's foreign to me.

I called Mr. Reza last friday, and he said he will come down to SoCal for survey review class in February. EET's survey class will be a very new class and i want to wait until they start offering survey class and see how it goes ...

Again, Thank you for your help!

I only bought Mansour's Surveying book off Amazon.

I don't have a civil background but I crazily did all three tests this cycle. Of the three tests needed for CA, I was very confident in the Surveying portion because of Mansour's book.  It's well organized, easy to flip through (especially with the "cheat sheets" in the front) and the quiz questions at the end of each section were very appropriate (a mix of very easy 15-second type problems to 5 minute longer derivations) for the type of questions you would expect to see on the CA Civil Surveying.

I only just read the book front to back over three days, probably spent a total 10 hrs (three evenings ~3 hours).  Never took surveying before, so take that with a grain of salt.  

For comparison I spent about 40 hrs for seismic (30 hrs of lecture videos plus 1 weekend of hw and sample tests). I spent most of my time, around 150 hrs(12 weekends of~ 6 hr days) prepping for the 8-hr exam.  Mansour's book was even helpful to answer some quick questions for the geomatics stuff.

I only bought Mansour's Surveying book off Amazon.

I don't have a civil background but I crazily did all three tests this cycle. Of the three tests needed for CA, I was very confident in the Surveying portion because of Mansour's book.  It's well organized, easy to flip through (especially with the "cheat sheets" in the front) and the quiz questions at the end of each section were very appropriate (a mix of very easy 15-second type problems to 5 minute longer derivations) for the type of questions you would expect to see on the CA Civil Surveying.

I only just read the book front to back over three days, probably spent a total 10 hrs (three evenings ~3 hours).  Never took surveying before, so take that with a grain of salt.  

For comparison I spent about 40 hrs for seismic (30 hrs of lecture videos plus 1 weekend of hw and sample tests). I spent most of my time, around 150 hrs(12 weekends of~ 6 hr days) prepping for the 8-hr exam.  Mansour's book was even helpful to answer some quick questions for the geomatics stuff.
Are you saying you passed all three?

Are you saying you passed all three?
Yeah, passed all three.  I was most concerned about the seismic since it's I don't usually do that type of work.  By the time I got around to studying seismic I had so many deadlines at work stacking up I felt like I didn't spend enough time.

Yeah, passed all three.  I was most concerned about the seismic since it's I don't usually do that type of work.  By the time I got around to studying seismic I had so many deadlines at work stacking up I felt like I didn't spend enough time.
Nice, congrats.  So, you are mechanical but you took the civil PE?

Nice, congrats.  So, you are mechanical but you took the civil PE?
I have both mechanical and civil PEs now. 

I previous career I was a power plant mechanical design engineer so the mechanical thermal fluids was a breeze.  My current role is mostly piping and plants construction projects, and I noticed at least in California the civil PE covers a bit more...

@ptatohed what do you think of newly offer EET's survey class? 32 hours of both on demand and live seminar. Thanks in advance.

@ptatohed what do you think of newly offer EET's survey class? 32 hours of both on demand and live seminar. Thanks in advance.
Ryan, for full discloser, the instructors at EET are my good friends.  I didn't take their courses, I met them right after I passed.  But my local friends have taken their courses and found the courses to be very well delivered.  And, for even further disclosure, I actually helped review/comment on EET's draft Survey material, so I have actually seen it firsthand.  (I didn't even know their Survey courses were available yet, thanks for the info).  I am not on their payroll or anything but now you know my connection with EET.  With all that said, and even with my "bias", I can state with confidence that you will be in excellent hands with EET.  You'll see exactly what others have seen - that the instructors' number one priority is ensuring your success on the exam.  Great guys that care about each individual students' success.  You have my recommendation.  Best of luck to you.  And if you ever have any Survey questions, please feel free to PM me.  

Hi! How many hours of study is typically needed for Seismic and Surveying? I will not take any workshop, I always prefer to study on my own. Thanks.

Back