Bird Perch on single phase utility pole 2400 VAC broke

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thammond

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a quick question, We recently had a bird perch on a single phase overhead utility pole break leaving a piece of the perch leaning towards one of the wires on the pole.  I believe this will cause a ground fault, but my manager does not agree.  Well he wasn't there and we fixed the bird perch, but I thought I would post this question to see what people think.  The line is un-insulated and old, probably installed in the 70s.  I have attached a picture.  Thanks for the help.

Regards

Alaska Bush PE

bird perch.jpg

Hello all, I have a quick question, We recently had a bird perch on a single phase overhead utility pole break leaving a piece of the perch leaning towards one of the wires on the pole.  I believe this will cause a ground fault, but my manager does not agree.  Well he wasn't there and we fixed the bird perch, but I thought I would post this question to see what people think.  The line is un-insulated and old, probably installed in the 70s.  I have attached a picture.  Thanks for the help.

Regards

Alaska Bush PE

View attachment 8755
I do not think the owner of the Power line will permit anything of this type very near to their live line. If they permit; there are standard clearances to be maintained  between live and Grounded parts- needs to be followed.   

Back