New Mechanical PE specifications for the April 2017 exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmc

Reaction score
FYI. The exam specs for all three ME depths are changing in 2017. It appears as though the common ME breadth topics have been removed and its essentially one depth exam for each area of expertise.

http://ncees.org/engineering/pe/

To the detriment of the test, if you ask me.  All mechanical engineers should have some basic knowledge of the various depth areas and that is what the breadth sections covered.

Should there be different licenses for TF, MM and HVAC?
It seems that's what NCEES is suggesting. If not in name, at least by inference.

There is often so much overlap in industry, I question the value in this decision. The genius of the breadth/depth setup was that there was so much material, that it forces the examinees to study material they haven't seen in a long time and become comfortable with it. Even if one doesn't see that material on the test they will have some knowledge of it and can understand the basics -- remember, "minimally qualified." I know I benefitted from this.

Is this going to effect the October exam results? , since the Breadth topics like (management technology and economics, ...) have been removed for the April test

I really hope it would , I didn't do any good in the management and economics questions

I did great in the afternoon HVAC and Refrigeration, but not in the morning session  

Look for new sample exams for all three mechanical depths.

If NCEES issue new sample morning exams for all three depths then I think this is trial year and soon we will see separate PE certificates HVAC, MM & TF.

As someone who is having to take April 2017, this frustrates me greatly. I don't even know what resources to use for these new topics and I certainly don't like the idea of being a guinea pig.

I can't imagine the April exam will be easier and maybe if I'm lucky it will be just as difficult. 

Should there be different licenses for TF, MM and HVAC?
That would have been bad for me.  Most of my work is TF in nature.   But sometimes I have simple HVAC systems.   Glad it's a generic mechanical stamp. 

That would have been bad for me.  Most of my work is TF in nature.   But sometimes I have simple HVAC systems.   Glad it's a generic mechanical stamp. 
Same is the case with me, I really hope that it remains a general Mechanical stamp, otherwise it will be hard to categorize people who already have PE. 

May be they can keep it general for existing PE's and all new candidates will have to get PE's in their specific fields ( more source of money for NCEES).

I am just guess at this point, only time will tell what happens in future....

Same is the case with me, I really hope that it remains a general Mechanical stamp, otherwise it will be hard to categorize people who already have PE. 

May be they can keep it general for existing PE's and all new candidates will have to get PE's in their specific fields ( more source of money for NCEES).

I am just guess at this point, only time will tell what happens in future....
I doubt that will happen.   Although MA used to have an HVAC stamp.  

Just my own humble opinion, but I don't think we can infer from a few sample exams that they will begin categorizing licenses by type at any point in the near future. At least for now, a PE is a PE, whether she be geotechnical or mechanical. Personally I like the breadth/depth model and would hate to see it go. However, I probably studied WAY more than the average person because I had always heard about the epic nature of the exam and was overly cautious. With that being said, I felt great about both sections (not to gloat).

Wow!

Econ is still covered under all three morning sessions.  Project Management only is in MD.  

I have mixed feelings on this.  I spent way too much time studying areas outside of my expertise that I know I will not use in my line of work.     But I like the general ME PE stamp and feel that all three areas should be covered.  

Hmm, I missed it earlier...but anyone notice that they switched the name of the MD exam yet again!  I took the 'Mechanical Systems and Materials' exam in April.  Now it is 'Mechanical Design and Materials'.  

Does this mean it's all depth?  Sounds like it is just a mixtures of depth and breadth questions mixture in morning and afternoon.

Back