Why Six Minutes per Question is a Sham

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregoryPE

Reaction score
During my preparation for the PE exam (which I am taking in NYC tomorrow by the way), I found myself stressing a lot about not being able to solve questions in the 6 minute timeframe. The first time I did the Lindeburg HVAC practice exam, it took me an average of 20 minutes per question, and 2 solid days, and to be fair I spent a whole lot of time looking at the solutions to start me off in the right direction.

However, having taken the NCEES HVAC practice test, I found that there were multiple quick hitter questions, especially in the breadth section, which took me 30 seconds. So while my intention is to move as quickly as possible, I am not going to freak out if I get one of those questions where 6 minutes go by and I am still trying to figure out why my answer is not one of the choices (and probably orders of magnitude away from any answer choice!)

I guess I'm just saying to those studying, not to freak out about the 6 minutes, because I'm banking on the fact that with some of the low hanging fruit, that 6 minutes will actually be 30 seconds for some, 2 minutes for others, and 15 minutes for others.

And finally, I've decided, I'm guessing "B" when all else fails.

Good luck to my fellow test takers!

The NCEES practice exams are indicative of the type of questions that are on the exam.  Some will may take 30 seconds, some may take 30 minutes.  Pick the low hanging fruit, but read the question carefully.  

I took the Construction Depth and 2 hours into the afternoon portion of exam, I had picked the low hanging fruit and had completed 20 questions.  Then I started tackling the others. I ran out of time and had to guess on some, but still passed.  My advice is to pick the low hanging fruit first, but read the questions carefully and don't read too much into it. You don't want to miss an easy question because you misread it or assumed too much.

Lindeburg, Six Minute solutions, Civil Engineering Academy, etc. all had questions that had multiple steps with multiple equations.  There are a few of those those type of questions on the exam, but not an overwhelming amount.

You will be okay if:

1.  You are prepared

2.  You relax

3.  Pick the low hanging fruit first

4. Read the question carefully but do not read too much into.

Best of Luck to all exam takers.

I took and passed the exam in April.  I wasn't so much focused on the 6 minute timeframe but you do 'know' when you are starting to take too long on a specific problem.   I found that I had two causes for 'taking too long'; 1) I felt I processed the problem correctly but didn't end up with one of the answers or 2) I was unsure how to initiate or assess the problem.  

For 1); after I drove to what I thought was the solution, I'd of course try to review my methodology and calculations.  As soon as I felt that I 'was taking too much time', I made an educated guess on the answer, filled in the circle in the answer key and marked my test booklet by simply circling the problem to come back to later on.   For 2); after trying to assess and initiate a problem for several minutes, I again got the gut feeling that I was 'taking too long'.  In this case, I again marked the problem in my test booklet but simply skipped it on the answer key.  Once finishing my first pass thru the exam, I immediately put my focus on the 2) situation problems leaving the 1) type as the least priority.  In the end, I was able to review all problems that I questioned at least once again.  For the 1) types that I did figure out my error on the second go around, I found that my educated guess was indeed correct in every case but 1! 

So I guess what I am saying is, when you get that gut feel on taking too much time, assess the problem and determine if you can make an educated guess or not.   If not, simply skip it and move on.  You will be much more comfortable coming back to it after finishing your first pass through...believe me.   Also trust your educated guesses, they are more educated than you think!  

Best of luck to all tomorrow!

The 6 minutes per question is an average and is still relevant.  It can be used as a gauge as you move along on the test.  For instance, if 60 minutes have gone by, you better have more than 10 questions answered, especially when you should be hitting the sub-6 minute problems first.  After two hours, you should hopefully have more than 20 completed.  After three hours you should have close to 30 problems done, if not a few more.  In the 3rd and 4th hours, you'll be doing the more lengthy problems.  But do pay attention to time like starquest mentioned.  If you are putting in too much time on one problem, cut bait and move on.   

My guess is that the number of questions considered as "low hanging fruit" is directly related to how ready the individual is to become licensed.  Its all an individual perception.

My guess is that the number of questions considered as "low hanging fruit" is directly related to how ready the individual is to become licensed.  Its all an individual perception.
On my exam there were questions that were you either know this or you don't. References wouldn't help much. Then there were questions that required me to solve a problem. I divided questions up in four categories, based on the amount of time to solve. In the morning, I had so many questions in Groups 1 & 2, that I had basically as much time as I could use on the rest. In the afternoon, I had only <5 problems that fell into categories 1-2, a bunch in 3, and many in 4.

1. Questions I could answer on the spot without any calculation/references - Very low hanging fruit, these questions were basically free points.

2. Questions that I knew I could answer with some calculation or I needed to look up info (i.e. code references/tables)

3. Calculations that I knew I could do, but would take some time

4. Things that needed to be looked up and would take more time, and I may or may not be able to find in references. 

On my exam there were questions that were you either know this or you don't. References wouldn't help much. Then there were questions that required me to solve a problem. I divided questions up in four categories, based on the amount of time to solve. In the morning, I had so many questions in Groups 1 & 2, that I had basically as much time as I could use on the rest. In the afternoon, I had only <5 problems that fell into categories 1-2, a bunch in 3, and many in 4.

1. Questions I could answer on the spot without any calculation/references - Very low hanging fruit, these questions were basically free points.

2. Questions that I knew I could answer with some calculation or I needed to look up info (i.e. code references/tables)

4. Things that needed to be looked up and would take more time, and I may or may not be able to find in references. 
Very excellent advice here.

Good point in particular about focusing one step on just code references/table type questions.  The Spinup sample test book for the Electrical PE - Power uses this same overall strategy.  Much more efficient use of your reference materials

Last edited by a moderator:
During my preparation for the PE exam (which I am taking in NYC tomorrow by the way), I found myself stressing a lot about not being able to solve questions in the 6 minute timeframe. The first time I did the Lindeburg HVAC practice exam, it took me an average of 20 minutes per question, and 2 solid days, and to be fair I spent a whole lot of time looking at the solutions to start me off in the right direction.

However, having taken the NCEES HVAC practice test, I found that there were multiple quick hitter questions, especially in the breadth section, which took me 30 seconds. So while my intention is to move as quickly as possible, I am not going to freak out if I get one of those questions where 6 minutes go by and I am still trying to figure out why my answer is not one of the choices (and probably orders of magnitude away from any answer choice!)

I guess I'm just saying to those studying, not to freak out about the 6 minutes, because I'm banking on the fact that with some of the low hanging fruit, that 6 minutes will actually be 30 seconds for some, 2 minutes for others, and 15 minutes for others.

And finally, I've decided, I'm guessing "B" when all else fails.

Good luck to my fellow test takers!
My recommendation on how to answer your  guesses is do a  quick scan of all the other problems which you actually able to work and solve with any amount of certainty.  Whatever letter is most common use that as your "guess" answer.  No more of a risk than choosing B and, for what it's worth, at least uses some type of logic. 

My recommendation on how to answer your  guesses is do a  quick scan of all the other problems which you actually able to work and solve with any amount of certainty.  Whatever letter is most common use that as your "guess" answer.  No more of a risk than choosing B and, for what it's worth, at least uses some type of logic. 
Had about 4 didnt get back to in the AM.

i went with least common answer for column instead...we shall see what happened. 

I have posted previously that NCEES tries to to have an equal distribution of answers.  The theory being that they do not  want someone getting a statistical advantage by guessing one particular answer (B for example).  I read this on another site.

I have a little theory that I have never shared.  And don't ask me to explain but here it is:  If it is a quantitative problem, guess B or C.  If it is a non-quantitative problem, guess A or D. 

Try it.  Take a practice exam and answer based solely on this theory.  If I am right, you should get better than 25%. 

wait-good-point_o_1144675.jpg

I have a little theory that I have never shared.  And don't ask me to explain but here it is:  If it is a quantitative problem, guess B or C.  If it is a non-quantitative problem, guess A or D. 

Try it.  Take a practice exam and answer based solely on this theory.  If I am right, you should get better than 25%. 
But did you have an equal distribution of B's and C's for the qualitative problems and A's and D's for the quantitative problems. 

I have posted previously that NCEES tries to to have an equal distribution of answers.  The theory being that they do not  want someone getting a statistical advantage by guessing one particular answer (B for example).  I read this on another site.
I thought this would be the case but exactly opposite occured on my Oct 2016 exam.

After i was done, double checked sheet and the answer distribution was WAYYYYY off.  If i recall correctly, it was to the tune of 60%-70% were C.  I've never seen it this bad on a scantron...got to the point i was looking at problems to check if I read them wrong/missed a step and try to avoid C.

For my handful of guesses, I attempted to even out the distribution and went all B but sheet was still severly unbalanced and highly illogical.  Passed without difficulty but it was odd. Dont remember that from previous 2 attempts.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 10:22 AM, ruggercsc said: I have posted previously that NCEES tries to to have an equal distribution of answers.  The theory being that they do not  want someone getting a statistical advantage by guessing one particular answer (B for example).  I read this on another site.
I thought this would be the case but exactly opposite occured on my Oct 2016 exam.After i was done, double checked sheet and the answer distribution was WAYYYYY off.  If i recall correctly, it was to the tune of 60%-70% were C.  I've never seen it this bad on a scantron...got to the point i was looking at problems to check if I read them wrong/missed a step and try to avoid C.

For my handful of guesses, I attempted to even out the distribution and went all B but sheet was still severly unbalanced and highly illogical.  Passed without difficulty but it was odd. Dont remember that from previous 2 attempts.
Did you get a score? Maybe you barely passed.

I observed an equal distribution on MS&M Oct 2015.

Did you get a score? Maybe you barely passed.

I observed an equal distribution on MS&M Oct 2015.
Ha no score.  My previous fails were 50/51. 

This time took a class plus found a great one stop ref ...id say i was at least high 60s. 

Had time to review many of the Cs...they werent wags, they were calcs or code i had worked out.

Total 4 wags in AM, 2 in pm

Back