Diode rectifier voltage output

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phatso86

Noob
Reaction score
I can upload a drawing if needed, but the concept is single.

An AC voltage supply on the left feeds a resistance on the right in a single loop. On the top and bottom branches there is a diode on each pointing toward the resistor.

Here is my issue:

- if the voltage is measured across the resistor, why would it show as only positive on a graph? The polarity across the resistor switches every time the input changes direction, no?

- how does current even flow here? If the current goes through the top diode, wouldn't the bottom diode hinder its return to source? I bought a book on diodes specifically to figure this out and there hasn't been an explanation.

this is a question on the Complex Imaginary book.

I am looking on youtube and I only see a full wave rectifier with a bridge set-up or it has two loops with resistor on the center line (both to me makes sense)

The diode has to forward biased in order to pass voltage.

I think that you are talking about problem 10 in complex imaginary book.  The circuit also has a capacitor in parallel with the resistor.  I have the same issue with this circuit as well.  However, i think they just want to test if you recognize the different types of rectifiers and the output signal given the input.  

They way I understand it is as follows: Since there are two diodes it should be a fullwave rectifier and without the capacitor the output waveform should be the same as the input but without the ripples.  But again, I think in reality this circuit will not work because there is no current return path to the source.

The diode has to forward biased in order to pass voltage.
Anyone who understands the question, please give me your input.

images

I can upload a drawing if needed, but the concept is single.

An AC voltage supply on the left feeds a resistance on the right in a single loop. On the top and bottom branches there is a diode on each pointing toward the resistor.

Here is my issue:

- if the voltage is measured across the resistor, why would it show as only positive on a graph? The polarity across the resistor switches every time the input changes direction, no? 

- how does current even flow here? If the current goes through the top diode, wouldn't the bottom diode hinder its return to source? I bought a book on diodes specifically to figure this out and there hasn't been an explanation.
This is a basic RC circuit. Since you'd just rather insult my responses, good luck tomorrow.

47 minutes ago, saberger_vt said:
  On 10/27/2016 at 0:06 PM, Ken PE 3.0 said:
On 10/27/2016 at 1:06 PM, Ken PE 3.0 said: This is a basic RC circuit. Since you'd just rather insult my responses, good luck tomorrow.
I guess this is why you cannot get a P.E. from a Cracker Jack box......
That's where I found mine.
I had to fill mine out myself after I cut it from the back of a box of Cap'N Crunch.

Back