Determining Bearing Capacity Factors

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGipe1

Reaction score
With shall foundations, should Bearing Capacity factors be determined with the NAVFAC Design Manual or Terzaghi's chart? That is, if the exam problem does not specify which to use.

My EET notes are based on Navfac lol. I'm sure the factors (or table/chart) will be given. Or they will say to use terzaghi, meyerhoff, vesic etc. 

My EET notes are based on Navfac lol. I'm sure the factors (or table/chart) will be given. Or they will say to use terzaghi, meyerhoff, vesic etc. 
I'm not expecting being given anything for this exam. I am expecting Hell. And if we are given something else, I'll be happy.

Obvious typo in original post... I meant "shallow" foundations.

EET notes show NAVFAC charts and Terzaghi table.... I made a note to use NAVFAC charts over tables based on instructor recommendation

EET notes show NAVFAC charts and Terzaghi table.... I made a note to use NAVFAC charts over tables based on instructor recommendation
Thanks. That was what I was leaning towards. I wish it was Terzaghi though since those numbers are precise... sometimes the chart can be hard to get the right number.

Thanks. That was what I was leaning towards. I wish it was Terzaghi though since those numbers are precise... sometimes the chart can be hard to get the right number.
Okay if the EET notes say use NAVFAC then that's what you use, I could not remember which chart I wrote "use this on exam" over so I was going to check when I got home.

Back