Can we expect the civil test on friday to be pretty hard because April's was easy

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN PE 4.0

Reaction score
I saw this come up in another thread. I'm wondering if there's any truth to this. I understand the thought but it seems like this wouldn't be right to those who are taking the test on Friday.

I guess this would mean bad news for those who failed in April.... if it was true. No reason to worry about something like this. I know I'm not. 

None of us know... but I find it very difficult to believe the NCEES test making committee would actively seek to punish October test takers because they felt they made the April exam too easy.  I'm not sure what that accomplishes (April's exams are done and over, they can't change the results now regardless of what they were or weren't) and while I tend to think some of the things/decisions NCEES makes are nonsensical, I highly doubt they are vindictive which is what that idea would seem to imply.  

The test in april was no easier than any other cycle.  There were just those that were more prepared to take it.  Besides, they have common questions peppered into the exam that they know what they typical pass rate is for those questions and that is how the base the cut score.

its so stupid that NCEES doesn't just come up with problems to work out (Which is the ENGINEER'S JOB in the first place)

when i took civil it was a joke(i think i was the lucky ones who had problems to work out). but people told me this time around it was mostly random questions about theory. Like how the Power exam was

its so stupid that NCEES doesn't just come up with problems to work out (Which is the ENGINEER'S JOB in the first place)
@Ken PE 3.0, apparently working as an EE, every problem we encounter at work consists of (4) choices, A,B,C, and D. No practical or conceptual knowledge needed. Wish I'd known this previously, could have saved me some time for sure.

2 minutes ago, Phatso86 said: its so stupid that NCEES doesn't just come up with problems to work out (Which is the ENGINEER'S JOB in the first place)
@Ken PE 3.0, apparently working as an EE, every problem we encounter at work consists of (4) choices, A,B,C, and D. No practical or conceptual knowledge needed. Wish I'd known this previously, could have saved me some time for sure.
****, I always get answer E. No wonder I am only a PE and not a PHD.

When I design buildings I only provide four choices for footers,  beams and columns. This way it's always A, B, C or D. Same goes for connectors, baseplates, girts, purlins ect. Now that I have my PE I figured I should keep the NCEES standard. Also if I spend more than 2 minutes on a problem I just skip it and save it for later. I'll probably get enough of the design right to compensate for what I don't know.

When I design buildings I only provide four choices for footers,  beams and columns. This way it's always A, B, C or D. Same goes for connectors, baseplates, girts, purlins ect. Now that I have my PE I figured I should keep the NCEES standard. Also if I spend more than 2 minutes on a problem I just skip it and save it for later. I'll probably get enough of the design right to compensate for what I don't know.
do you have your SE? still haven't found anyone in south florida that can tell me when exactly i need the SE title to design something.

apparently so. Also can't ask a co-worker to explain to you any random textbook definition you're not familiar with.

do you have your SE? still haven't found anyone in south florida that can tell me when exactly i need the SE title to design something.
Check with your state board for specific requirements if they do require an SE for certain design elements.

No SE yet. The SE designation does not exist in the FL state laws. It was vetoed by Gov. Scott during the last session (after passing both chambers of legislature). It does however exist as far as the FL Board of PE is concerned for testing and tracking purposes in the hopes that it will become law soon. Until then, the Special Inspector designation will be my next immediate goal. I listened in on the conference call this morning for the Structural Rules Committee and they are trying to make it easier for a qualified PE to become an SI, which would really help me for threshold building design and inspections. Even in the committee it appears there is some disagreement on qualifications. Threshold buildings cover about 70% of my projects right now, and there are not many SI's competing for these jobs.

As for when the SE will become a requirement, it depends on when the statute is revised. Then there "should" be a grandfather period for all practicing PE's to apply for the SE.

http://www.flsea.com/SE-Licensure-2015-News-and-Info

I still want to pass the SE exam, but the last time I took it I realized my study program (Brightwood Engineering) was grossly deficient. I will rely more on self study (like I did for the PE) unless I can find a solid course recommendation when the time comes.

Check with your state board for specific requirements if they do require an SE for certain design elements.
i have. thats why i said i haven't found anyone that could explain it to me.

SE_FL summed it up though.

Back