High temp connectors

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sschell

Dude?
Reaction score
Electrical dudes and dudettes ! I need help. I am working on a design of a system which includes a furnace. The furnace operates around 700°C. I would like the electrical connections to the 250W heaters to be inside the furnace (solves a whole slew of other problems). Anyone have a good lead for electrical connectors rated to this temp? Thanks! 

Yes yes yes, I know, us mechanical guys should keep away from the electrical stuff... Believe me I would if it were an option right now!

Wow! That's nearly 1300°F! Is this an arc furnace application? You also did not specify what the voltage (and phase), current, and frequency (I don't always assume 60Hz) requirements are. But it will likely have to be some form of ceramic at that high temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to check with companies like Omega or CeramTec.  They typically sell/manufacture ceramic bodied connectors for thermocouple connections, etc.

You may want to check with companies like Omega or CeramTec.  They typically sell/manufacture ceramic bodied connectors for thermocouple connections, etc.
Thanks! The highest rated connectors I can find on omega are 650deg C. Those may have to do the trick! I am planning to use ceramtec isolators on my process connections, but can't find anything in terms of electrical connectors.

Wow! That's nearly 1300°F! Is this an arc furnace application? You also did not specify what the voltage (and phase), current, and frequency (I don't always assume 60Hz) requirements are. But it will likely have to be some form of ceramic at that high temperature.
It's a ceramic membrane oxygen concentrator. See... I'm so mechanical, I leave out "details" like phase and frequency... The heater will be 120 single phase 50 Hz (I know it's weird). The process itself requires 30A at 6VDC.

You are also going to need a special cable. I don't think I've seen any with that high of a temperature rating.

^ hence my question about this being an arc furnace application. Even if it isn't, that particular application should have similar spec'd equipment that should be rated for your application. 

Back