Engineer Boards
lador

PMP Exam Prep

SK82, P.E.    13

Hoping to try for the PMP later next year, so looking to buy these books now to fall under the 2016 budget.    Note that I purchased a PMP course through Grey Academy for $60 during Black Friday, so that should account for the 45 hour requirement.    Do I really need all four of these books? Are any redundant?

PMP Exam Prep, Eighth Edition - Updated: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam by Rita Mulcahy

The PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try, Fifth Edition by Andy Crowe

A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide)–Fifth Edition 

Head First PMP: A Learner's Companion to Passing the Project Management Professional Exam by Jennifer Greene

ruggercsc    52
3 hours ago, SK82, P.E. said:

Hoping to try for the PMP later next year, so looking to buy these books now to fall under the 2016 budget.    Note that I purchased a PMP course through Grey Academy for $60 during Black Friday, so that should account for the 45 hour requirement.    Do I really need all four of these books? Are any redundant?

PMP Exam Prep, Eighth Edition - Updated: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam by Rita Mulcahy

A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide)–Fifth Edition 

Head First PMP: A Learner's Companion to Passing the Project Management Professional Exam by Jennifer Greene

Buy Rita's book and the PMBOK and with your course you should be good to go.  I did not use Rita's book, but I have heard nothing but good things about it.  If you read her book, do the course you purchased, and use the PMBOK for a reference while studying you should be good.   

Edited by ruggercsc
spelling error

ruggercsc    52
16 hours ago, SK82, P.E. said:

Note that I purchased a PMP course through Grey Academy for $60 during Black Friday

Let us know what you think of this course.  I have seen PM courses as much as $3,000+.  IMHO, $60 is probably what the true value of the course.  

SK82, P.E.    13
1 hour ago, ruggercsc said:

Let us know what you think of this course.  I have seen PM courses as much as $3,000+.  IMHO, $60 is probably what the true value of the course.  

I will definitely do a review once I get into it.  I was comparing Grey Academy vs Simplilearn (both cost $300 for self-paced) and they both had good reviews, for the most part.  I was going to go with Simplilearn until Grey Academy had their 80% off on Black Friday, so I went the cheaper route - more so to get the 35 hours formal ed. hours and I will have access for 1 year vs. 6 months with Simplilearn.

Also, people have posted on EB that going through certain books and working the practice exams were more effective than some of the courses so I decided to take a chance.  Just like the PE, I'm doing this for my own career development.  I don't know if my company will reject my attempt to get reimbursed for some of my expenses getting this PE, so  just in case, I'm trying to keep this PMP cost low but effective as possible.  This whole FE/PE journey has cost me a little over $3000 the last year and a half.  

cupojoe PE PMP    129
On 12/15/2016 at 3:20 PM, SK82, P.E. said:

Start with Rita's book. Also, if you join PMI for like $110 you get like $125 off the exam price, so it's worth it for the first year. With your membership you also get a free PDF copy of the PMBOK. So if you are okay reading a PDF you might save yourself some money.

After I read Rita's book and worked the sample problems I went to the local library and they head a number of study guides....I did use the Crowe book and Head First PMP to review additional practice questions. Rita's book had questions that were closer to the actual exam.

Before you start studying, schedule your test date. You need to have an end date for your studying. This exam is "pump & dump" so you want to take the test at the peak of your studying not, get through studying then schedule it for a few weeks later.

• Like 1

framiel    1

Rita Book and PMBOK are all you need. I passed using both. I agree. It is a pump & dump type of exam.

Porter_    107

just posting to subscribe to this thread.  I'm looking to take the PMP exam this year and all this was helpful.  thanks EB folks :beerchug:

civilrobot    1

I studied for the PMP on my own twice and failed twice. I didn't commit myself and tried to take it based on real world experience. As many others have said, the test is not based on real world experience. It's based on studying the material and choosing the best answer. I took a prep course with Project Management Academy and it was the best. I was working with a colleague who is a PE  and a PMP. He just showed up in September and said "yeah, I took the PMP exam last Friday and I passed. I used Project Management Academy to prepare." I signed up, took the class and passed in December 2015 and this was after 8 years of not reviewing any of the material. It was a really good decision and I'm glad I did it. 

My company reimbursed me for the study materials, the test, and the prep course. I moved on to another company 4 months later and had to pay it back but I received a $22,000 increase in salary with the new company because of my PMP so it was worth it. Now I'm applying for the PE and to be honest, I'm getting it to move up to executive management and to sign off on large contracts. We don't do design work here. It's just icing on the cake but I really want that icing.