Question about R-values in Pavement Topic

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannacape

Reaction score
I have a question about the R-values mentioned in the syllabus. 

VIII. Geotechnical and Pavement 
A. Sampling and testing (e.g., subgrade resilient modulus, CBR, R-Values, field tests)

In pavement design chapter of my book there are two different definitions for R. In one place it says R is the 'resistance value' of soil below the pavement. It varies from 0 to 100. Later they say R is 'Reliability' and use this input in the design chart to find thickness of pavement. I am confused if they are the same thing or different? It looks like both of them varies between 0 to 100. 

THANKS

I have a question about the R-values mentioned in the syllabus. 

VIII. Geotechnical and Pavement 
A. Sampling and testing (e.g., subgrade resilient modulus, CBR, R-Values, field tests)

In pavement design chapter of my book there are two different definitions for R. In one place it says R is the 'resistance value' of soil below the pavement. It varies from 0 to 100. Later they say R is 'Reliability' and use this input in the design chart to find thickness of pavement. I am confused if they are the same thing or different? It looks like both of them varies between 0 to 100. 

THANKS
The R-Value listed on the NCEES Exam outline is the Resistance Value. 

Back