Legal name different than what is on the Exam Authorization

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aakrusen

Reaction score
I'm asking you guys because my States' license board is closed right now.  My name is Andrew, but it says Andy on my Exam Authorization.  I go by Andy and I only use Andrew in times where my legal name is required.  In the "instructions to all examinees" it says "The first and last name on your ID and Exam Authorization must match".  Now, almost every one knows that Andy is short for Andrew, and it is very common to shorten names like that.  However, every piece of formal ID that I have has Andrew on it.  The only semi-official (mostly unofficial) ID that I can find with Andy on it is my Best Buy reward zone card.  That's not going to cut it.  Will they accept that kind of difference in names, or do I need to get on the phone Monday morning and find out about changing how my name appears on the Exam Authorization.

How did they know your nickname was Andy unless that us how you signed into your my ncees account?

How did they know your nickname was Andy unless that us how you signed into your my ncees account?
I was reviewing my NCEES account and under my account name and mailing address it says Andy.  However, on my FE license it says Andrew (it also says Andrew on the envelope that they mailed my license in).  So, I guess I'll call them in the morning and hopefully I can get this fixed in time.

5 hours ago, Ken PE 3.0 said: How did they know your nickname was Andy unless that us how you signed into your my ncees account?
I was reviewing my NCEES account and under my account name and mailing address it says Andy.  However, on my FE license it says Andrew (it also says Andrew on the envelope that they mailed my license in).  So, I guess I'll call them in the morning and hopefully I can get this fixed in time.
Sure hope so. Good luck.

@knight1fox3 this thread should be moved to Anything about the PE exam.

Also,  you should definitely have your exam authorization changed to "Andrew."  I'm not sure how, or why, you had "Andy" on an official notice.

I was able to message NCEES but this morning and they quickly replied with an updated Exam Auth form. They also mentioned that they'd notify the proctor at my test site just in case. Very painless.

Ram, for whatever reason, I set up my NCEES account with Andy, not thinking it needed to be my legal name. Fixed now. 

Glad to hear they fixed it for you. Good luck on the test!

Back