Taking the Electrical Engineering, Power PE Exam??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjamb

Reaction score
Anyone taking the Power PE Exam this October 2016? Please send me an email....

Thank you!

It was TWJ. Theoretical as heck, I am more of a quant junkie!  We shall see!!

It was TWJ. Theoretical as heck, I am more of a quant junkie!  We shall see!!
Second that! Theoretical overload.  The whole day I kept replaying in my mind the Game of Thrones Red Wedding scene since I likened this exam to a **** bloody massacre. 

Here's one of my favorite exam recaps from a previous exam cycle (specifically electrical power):

I'll repost from main forum for the EE's in the house.

EE - Power. "You sunk my battleship."

Preparation Time/Materials: 250 total hours. 5 textbooks, prep coursework notebook, 2 notebooks of graduate class material, calculators, snacks, rolling suitcase.

Money: ~$1,550.

General Observations: Arrived at my site 30 minutes prior to report time. Noticed that many others had literally libraries and libraries of books. Someone had a giant wagon with bungie cords holding all of the books together. Others just had a single piece of paper. Wild. I randomly started thinking of a national geographic special with narration by Morgan Freeman on PE test taking habits. I needed that laugh to clear my head.

AM Session: Felt the AM session was great. Only ended up with 6-7 that I didn't have a single solid answer or couldn't find it in my reference. I finished slightly early and checked only some of my work.

PM Session: Total unadulterated bloodbath. Couldn't seem to concentrate enough to find the equations I needed. Calculator was spitting out answers that were out of this world. Saw stuff that I barely covered in droves. About 2-3 hours into the afternoon, my brain felt like it had been through a dishwasher and I started hopping around from question to question. Not good. I will be lucky if I got a quarter to half right. I might as well have taken another discipline in the afternoon or gone to work. A monkey may have been able to do better.

Final Thoughts: As I left the exam area, I felt numb, dumb, and a little crushed. I felt like I blew the morning session out of the water. Then the PE got off a torpedo as I was heading to collect my stamp, promotion, and better life. I'm not very good at guessing and doing the math in my head all weekend I kept envisioning a percentage score in the upper 60s with an afternoon diagnostic that simply says "monkey". 6 months of neglecting my wife and family might be for nothing in the end except doing it all over again. I know the pass rate for repeaters is low, but what is the divorce rate?

Oh well. If I recall from a coworker, last years results were released in around 45-50 days following the exam. I think he got his in late May. We shall see. I guess the ultimate decision is now do I crack open another book....or another beer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Second that! Theoretical overload.  The whole day I kept replaying in my mind the Game of Thrones Red Wedding scene since I likened this exam to a **** bloody massacre. 
do i smell a curve coming?

it was total BS. i feel like the NCEES colluded with PPI, Kaplan, Complex imaginary, Testmasters, GAtech, Villanova (all material i studied from)... and said let's have them work through all this, and then **** on them at the exam by not having over half the material in the study guides.

12 hours ago, cpunpingco said: Second that! Theoretical overload.  The whole day I kept replaying in my mind the Game of Thrones Red Wedding scene since I likened this exam to a **** bloody massacre. 
do i smell a curve coming?

it was total BS. i feel like the NCEES colluded with PPI, Kaplan, Complex imaginary, Testmasters, GAtech, Villanova (all material i studied from)... and said let's have them work through all this, and then **** on them at the exam by not having over half the material in the study guides.

Ok, so as I tried to explain to you earlier, the power PE test covers a lot of information. Doing all of the sample exams ever written is not worth a **** on test day. If you do not understand the theory, you are f@&$ed.

Yeh but you learn the theory that's on the sample exams. Don't know how you can prepare for theoretical questions from left field 

this test was about how good your referenceses were. Thankfully I was on this forum and studied from/had some of the better ones.

Yeh but you learn the theory that's on the sample exams. Don't know how you can prepare for theoretical questions from left field this test was about how good your referenceses were. Thankfully I was on this forum and studied from/had some of the better ones.
Glad to see that you learned something here.

It is all about preparation. We can all do algebra problems. It's about knowing which problems to use.

Yeh but you learn the theory that's on the sample exams. Don't know how you can prepare for theoretical questions from left field 

this test was about how good your referenceses were. Thankfully I was on this forum and studied from/had some of the better ones.
the sample exams did not go over a lot of what was on the actual test. Not even close. Can't learn the theory on something either unrelated or not sufficiently covered in the review books.

Ok, so as I tried to explain to you earlier, the power PE test covers a lot of information. Doing all of the sample exams ever written is not worth a **** on test day. If you do not understand the theory, you are f@&$ed.
that's the point i was making when i stated, "NCEES colluded with..."

the sample tests and review books only gave a false sense of preparation

It is all about preparation. We can all do algebra problems. It's about knowing which problems to use.
actually there were at least two questions  that were strictly algebra. The only electrical things about them was that they mentioned watts or something.

there were at least 5 more that were simply a one or two step solution.

What made you think a review book was going to be replicated at the test?

Everyone knows that it only gives you a flavor of what type of questions to expect. Not the exact question. How easy is your real discipline?

Obscure is an understatement and I agree Phatso. There were like two problems that were algebra and EVEN then, they were confusing as heck. And Ken, for the record, none of the books gave a "flavor" not the PPI, Graffeo, School of Pe. NONE. There was stuff in there, that I've never heard of and came back and googled it and still couldn't find it. LOL  SO YES, I get a sense there will be a curve. Im no genius, but no dummy either. And I felt dumb during the first part of the test. It was like WTFIT..  ha ha ha ha 

Obscure is an understatement and I agree Phatso. There were like two problems that were algebra and EVEN then, they were confusing as heck. And Ken, for the record, none of the books gave a "flavor" not the PPI, Graffeo, School of Pe. NONE. There was stuff in there, that I've never heard of and came back and googled it and still couldn't find it. LOL  SO YES, I get a sense there will be a curve. Im no genius, but no dummy either. And I felt dumb during the first part of the test. It was like WTFIT..  ha ha ha ha 
Guess it's a good thing I didn't have to take it.

I guess this was the one test ever administered that had nothing to do with electricity.

Everything we do is based on theory. Not exactly sure what you were expecting, 80 questions on voltage drop?

Back