Anyone received exam authorization yet from NCEES yet for OCT 16 exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannacape

Reaction score
I remember NCEES said something like I'll get an exam authorization in mail before the exam when I registered. Do I have to take that with me for exam? Nothing in mail yet. Did you get yours?

Typically NCEES will email you when the exam authorization is available. It is usually available 2 weeks prior to the test. You will need to print it and bring it with you. It serves as your ticket into the exam.

Thanks Lifesucks. That makes sense. I just checked MyNCEEES account it is also saying two weeks. sounds like I will be able to download it from there if I don't get a mail

They like to make everyone nervous before its gets emailed out. It was sent out on Oct 8 both in 2013 and 2014 but the test was earlier those years. I don't know last October's date.

Be certain to also closely read the exam rules they send out with the authorization. Between NCEES and the States, there's always a few surprises to be found in the new rules.

Thanks RBHeadge for the heads up. I will be sure to check this official version of exam rules as I do not want to surprise myself too much on the day of exam. 

They like to make everyone nervous before its gets emailed out. It was sent out on Oct 8 both in 2013 and 2014 but the test was earlier those years. I don't know last October's date.

Be certain to also closely read the exam rules they send out with the authorization. Between NCEES and the States, there's always a few surprises to be found in the new rules.
Example of new rules?

if you watch does anything other than tell the time, i would not bring it in to the testing room

No FitBits!! People got kicked out of the April exam during the PM session for having FitBits.

if you watch does anything other than tell the time, i would not bring it in to the testing room
Just to be safe, one should avoid bringing any electronic into the exam site that don't fit into these categories:

1. NCEES approved Calculator
  2. Carkey Fob, one which doesn't make any noises
  3. A medical device that is actually required to live/function
You can always buy a cheap mechanical watch. You don't want to risk an ignorant proctor confusing a digital watch for a smart watch, calculator, fitbit, etc. It has happened before, it will happen again. It's not worth the risk.

Leave all other electronics at home or in the car. Double check before entering the exam site.

Example of new rules?
In 2013, Maryland wouldn't allow books with pencil marks into the exam. Ink was okay, just not pencil. i didn't have the time to go through and earse or write over pages so I had to leave a few valuable references at home that attempt. I saw that a couple people had their books seized that year and had to leave when the proctors found pencil notes in their books.

In the intervening year, I spent a not-insignificant amount of time erasing pencil notes out of a few books or outright tearing out pages!

of course in 2014, Maryland got rid of the pencil mark rule. Oh well... I passed so I didn't care after December.

April 2016 was the infamous Fitbit rule, where it was explicitly banned in the rules. It was sort of implied in previous years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always err on the side of caution. Not worth being booted from the exam.

Back