SOLD!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper PE LS

Aspiring Couch Potato
Reaction score
So, as of this past Friday at approximately 2:30 PM, I sold my house in Virginia!!!  I can not begin to express how relieved I am... but also how sad I am that it is now not part of my life.  My wife and I bought it in 2004 when she was pregnant with our oldest.  We poured our souls into that house.  It was a great home.  But then it was time to move on and it became a rental property.  We rented it for 3 out of 4 years that we didn't live there, and repaired a bunch of damage in the process, dealt with a flea infestation.  Bottom line, it sucked being landlords, and it was even worse being out of state landlords.  At the end of the day, I lost a **** ton of money over the life of that home, but it was a good home and it served it's purpose.  As my wife said last night, we'll keep the photos and memories and lose the mortgage and maintenance, so in the end we win.

Congrats on the sale, Sap.  Being an in-state landlord is hard enough for most people I know who do it, couldn't imagine what a PITA it would be for out of state!

So, as of this past Friday at approximately 2:30 PM, I sold my house in Virginia!!!  I can not begin to express how relieved I am... but also how sad I am that it is now not part of my life.  My wife and I bought it in 2004 when she was pregnant with our oldest.  We poured our souls into that house.  It was a great home.  But then it was time to move on and it became a rental property.  We rented it for 3 out of 4 years that we didn't live there, and repaired a bunch of damage in the process, dealt with a flea infestation.  Bottom line, it sucked being landlords, and it was even worse being out of state landlords.  At the end of the day, I lost a **** ton of money over the life of that home, but it was a good home and it served it's purpose.  As my wife said last night, we'll keep the photos and memories and lose the mortgage and maintenance, so in the end we win.

Congrats man that's got to be a relief!

I hope you made some money on the deal as well!

Congrats on losing the headaches.  It's got to suck when there are minor issues but you're miles away and can't deal with it directly.

Yes, it does.  It was sad because for the past four years, we've had to make an annual summertime trip down to Virginia, bring all our rakes, and tools, and vacuums, and whatever else, go down, not stay in our own home because either A) there was somebody still living there, or B) there were no beds or other furnishings there so we'd have had to sleep on the floor, and clean, fix, run to home depot and buy a bunch of stuff to make the house ready to put back on the market to hopefully get a good tenant.  This last time around, we didn't get a tenant at all.  Ugh.  What a fucking headache.  Anyway, all that I won't miss.  But I do have many fond memories of that house.

The house we sold in Atlanta when we moved was our "emotional" house- we moved in when my 3rd son was 1 month old. Had a ton of memories...

Every now and then my wife will FB stalk the people that bought our house and it's really creepy to see them "living out our life" pics of their kids in the standard baby high chair bday pic in the (dining room that I painted ). , their baby's sitting next to the front porch beside a pumpkin (with the railing I put up) , etc sometimes it's really sad to look at...

I still have my first home, it is a rental.  I will be sad the day I sell it too.  Paid 240 in '02, it peaked at like 420 before the housing bust, and I am lucky if it is worth 350 today.  This was before I met my wife so I don't have the same emotional bonds like you guys but, just because it was my first house, I am sentimental about it. 

Still in my first house. Engaged, married, two kids...life has happened. We were thinking about moving, but living in this house has afforded us to be able to give our daughter (autistic) full time ABA therapy, among other therapies not covered by insurance. And knowing that we can pay it off by age 45, we are seriously thinking about staying. We will have a big financial burden with our autistic kid likely living with us until we die, so staying will allow for us to save more $ for later in life.

Back