Dumping Direct and Cable TV

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian
Reaction score
Am tired of Direct TV and would not consider going back to Cable TV.

What are the options out there. I have heard about Amazon Fire, Netflix, and other things but not really sure. Any suggestions?

we have amazon's movie thing through our prime membership and we have Netflix.  We use netflix more than the amazon.  We still have cable though for the kid channels...not that they watch it all that often

We have over the air TV and Netflix. We do have my sister's code for HBO Go as well.

Ever since we made the switch, we hardly ever watch live TV. We don't miss it either.

Are you looking for movies or TV programming?  If you're looking for movies, you can get an HBO subscription.  If you're looking for network TV shows, Hulu includes most network TV shows except for CBS I believe.  Netflix offers a mix of both but their movie selection isn't as good as it once was.  Then just get a Roku / Amazon Fire / etc. and you should be all set.

once we boosted the house internet speed the use of netflix went up.  We couldn't stream and use the computer internet at the same time because it became so SLOW.

We have over the air TV and Netflix. We do have my sister's code for HBO Go as well.

Ever since we made the switch, we hardly ever watch live TV. We don't miss it either.
Basically this minus HBO Go. I just download/stream that stuff if I want to watch it and/or host it on one of my network servers. 

Cable free for just over 3 years now and never going back.

dumb question, but how do you stream sporting events? which platform will have it

В родном России, спорт бесплатно.
elvish-math_zps27b2be3a.jpg

I get all the major networks over the air via antenna.  And we have amazon prime.  It more than fills any spare time I might think I have.

dumb question, but how do you stream sporting events? which platform will have it
This is really the only problem I have.  I hate Directv. They jacked my rates up by 100% after the first year. I could live with over the air and Netflix, but would like to watch live sports.  I'm not a TVaholic nor adicted to sports, but I want to be able to watch UK Basketball and STL Cardinals.  I haven't figured out a way to drop Direct/Dish and pull that off.  

This is really the only problem I have.  I hate Directv. They jacked my rates up by 100% after the first year. I could live with over the air and Netflix, but would like to watch live sports.  I'm not a TVaholic nor adicted to sports, but I want to be able to watch UK Basketball and STL Cardinals.  I haven't figured out a way to drop Direct/Dish and pull that off.  
feel free to
Most of the major networks are over-the-air. And it helped that CBS picked up TNF. However, if one wants to watch a specific team or sport, it gets a little more tricky but can still be accomplished with online streaming. PM me if you'd like to know more.

We use Amazon Fire TV here as well. Adding the Sling TV app makes it easy to watch sports (and other channels) for $20 a month.

Or you can spend a little time and upfront cost and do it with knight1fox3 instructions and some hardware and avoid subscriptions for life. I was looking into that for watching the Olympics, but didn't have the time to set it up.

I have also seen people share cable usernames and passwords to get access to a ton of apps. This may only work until the providers can figure out a way to block it.

I saw an ad for sling tv last night and checked out the website.  I didnt spend enough time to figure it out but the were pushing the apple tv, which ive always wanted to get anyways.  

What always keeps me from changing is that I am at $180/month for Internet / cable/ HBO. If I drop cable I'm

Still around $90-$100 a month for high speed internet (3 high school kids in the house) so by the time I add either Netflix or HBO go I am basically at the same thing....there is cheaper internet around but it sucklkkllssssssss balls...

Back