October PE Exam 2016 Study Strategy - 30 Days Out

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdetore

Reaction score
Hello,

I am re-taking the PE Transportation exam this October. Last time I took the exam in April, I missed by a few questions <5 mostly because I was not fully prepared for the afternoon conceptual questions – just as an example, looking in the MUTCD to answer “what is the color of a stop sign.”

My question to past exam takers is: What is the most effect way to utilize the 30 days (120-150 hours) leading up the exam, in order to put yourself in the best position the pass? If you have the following review materials available:

Notes form a former review class (School of PE, ASCE, etc), CERM, Lindberg Book of Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam, NCEES Practice exam, References: HCM, ASHTO Green Book, MUTCD, etc.

I am interested in any and all opinions and I think the responses will not only benefit myself but for others taking the exam – There is a lot of material out there for those who start studying 3 months out, but not much for those who only have about 1-1.5 months.

Thanks, Tom

So you're just opening the books again??

Ummmm....pray?

So you're just opening the books again??

Ummmm....pray?
lol.  That doesn't work.

tde, are you saying that you have been studying and you are asking how best to use the final month or are you saying you will only be studying this final month?  Also, 120-150 hours in 30 days might be pretty high hopes. 

Yes, I have been studying and was asking how to approach the final month. All recommendations appreciated, even if your method may be to pray. Ha

Now that we are exactly a month out from the exam and there is only one lecture left of the EET course, I have been going through the NCEES practice exam book and solving those problems, I have been going through the six-minute solutions transpo depth book and solving those problems, just ordered the new Goswami breadth practice problem book so I will get going with that when it arrives. I have been going back through the EET binders and practice problems, and I have a few other practice problem books I picked up along the way that I am working through, all along getting myself more and more familiar and fluent with AASHTO green book, HCM Vol. 2 and 3, and the MUTCD. I am actually feeling pretty good so far!

Yes, I have been studying and was asking how to approach the final month. All recommendations appreciated, even if your method may be to pray. Ha
I see.  Well, a month is still a substantial amount of time so I am not sure that your study habits need to change necessarily.  Keep going with what you have been doing.  But, when you think you've reached a good point in your learning/understanding of the material, then focus hard on a variety of practice problems.  It also might be a good time to take some practice exams.  When you have about a week or so left, stop trying to learn new material and review and work problems in the subjects you already know, even if you feel you know them well.  In the last few days, start slowing down and get all your materials ready for exam day.  Put down the pencil and calculator and spend some time flipping through your NCEES references page by page paying close attention to the TOC, index, exhibits, tables, glossaries, etc.  Good luck.  

Back