CA - Do I need a supervisor reference (Electrical)?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opisthenar PE

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I work in the public sector (State of CA) and have four references lined up. 3 of them are coworkers I've worked on projects with and fourth is an employee at another utility who is going to review my work. They are all PE's. My question is, my immediate supervisor and his supervisor (Branch Chief) do not have PE's. Are those 4 references sufficent? Should I still submit a reference form form from my supervisor even though he is not licensed? I do not work in a non-exempt industry.

I've tried to contact the board, but haven't gotten an answer. Thank you in advance.

Email Mike Donelson, PE at [email protected] and he can answer your question.  Mike is the Staff Engineer at BPELSG that performs the technical review of all non-civil engineering applications.

Good morning all,

I work in the public sector (State of CA) and have four references lined up. 3 of them are coworkers I've worked on projects with and fourth is an employee at another utility who is going to review my work. They are all PE's. My question is, my immediate supervisor and his supervisor (Branch Chief) do not have PE's. Are those 4 references sufficent? Should I still submit a reference form form from my supervisor even though he is not licensed? I do not work in a non-exempt industry.

I've tried to contact the board, but haven't gotten an answer. Thank you in advance.
From what I understand, if you use a licensed reference who was not your direct supervisor (during that engagement), you will get credit for the reference but not the time experience.  In other words, using 2 licensed references that are just coworkers will give you credit for 2 of your 4 required references but none of your required 24 months experience. 

[SIZE= 12px]Engagement Record and Reference Forms - a minimum of four (4) [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]•A form from at least one person in responsible charge for each engagement must be included to begiven credit for time worked.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]All applicants must submit a minimum of four (4) references from individuals appropriately licensed in the discipline you are applying. At least one of the licensed references must be from a person in responsible charge over the applicant for each engagement for which the applicant desires credit. [/SIZE]

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/pubs/forms/peapp_spring.pdf

[SIZE= 12px]Applicants for licensure as a professional engineer must submit a minimum of four satisfactory references from persons authorized to practice in the discipline in which the applicant is applying (see Question 26) and who have personal knowledge of the applicant's qualifying experience and who are not related by birth or marriage to the applicant. Relatives may verify work experience, but cannot count as one of the four references. Since at least one reference must be submitted for each engagement claimed as qualifying experience, it may be necessary for an applicant to submit more than the minimum of four references. In any case, however, it is recommended that more than the minimum number of four references be submitted when possible to avoid delays in processing the application due to reference deficiencies. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]In addition to whichever of the above apply, to be satisfactory, a reference person must also be able to indicate that his or her evaluation of the applicant is based upon personal knowledge, either gained by direct association in the work environment or by a review of sufficient and diverse work samples and an interview of the applicant. It is the applicants' responsibility to demonstrate their qualifications to the person who will be completing the reference form. Toward that end, in general the Board considers references in the following descending order of preference: [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px](1) immediate supervisors [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px](2) indirect supervisors[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px](3)? co?workers at equal or higher level [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px](4) co-workers not closely associated with the applicant [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px](5) clients/others [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]In the case of an applicant whose experience appears to be marginal, or where there is a conflict between reference evaluations of the applicant, more weight will be given to reference sources who were in the best position to have personal knowledge of the applicant's qualifying experience (i.e., immediate supervisor, etc.). [/SIZE]

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/faq_eng.pdf

Back