Vacation... what is that??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audi Driver P.E.

Reaction score
Yeah, this pretty much sums up every vacation I've ever taken since I started working as an engineer (and patent agent).

ext.jpg

Mainly my fault I suppose but I think in 20 years I have only taken 1 truly "relaxing" vacation. I.e. No kids and actually was able to chill....

Mainly my fault I suppose but I think in 20 years I have only taken 1 truly "relaxing" vacation. I.e. No kids and actually was able to chill....
Maybe a couple trips.  One or two international travel vaca (no access to email) and honeymoon (work not allowed).  

I don't count the time B4kids (honeymoon)  But at my honeymoon I didn't own a cell phone at the time - didn't matter :D

I do enjoy weekend days when I get to the mtns where there just isn't any cell coverage, its actually very nice..

I don't count the time B4kids (honeymoon)  But at my honeymoon I didn't own a cell phone at the time - didn't matter :D

I do enjoy weekend days when I get to the mtns where there just isn't any cell coverage, its actually very nice..
Since I started working, I think the only time I truly felt "away" from work was when I turned my phone off to hike up Snow King.  

so back at work this morning and it kinda has a different feel to it-kind of relaxed, rejuvenated. Rather than the type of vacation where you are constantly running around doing stuff or going away, we kinda just hung home. kids swam, taught them to ride bikes, etc. Highlight was tailgating and a concert on Saturday which did not include children. 

we try to oscillate relaxing and action packed vacations each year.  Although this year was a mid level.  Once snickette is old enough for kids programs we might try a family beaches vacation.  

I'm not a big fan of cruises( like I wouldn't take one for just mine and the wife's vacation) but with a family they are excellent.

There is always something for them to do, always something for them to eat, and most offer a night time kids program so the parents can go out without worrying about the kids...

But I would wait till they are 6 or so where you can leave them for a couple hours at a time.

We took the kids on the excursions but some people even left their kids in "cruise ship day camp" while mom and dad went on the excursions to shore-which I thought was kind of a dick

Move....

We've been on seven ? i think cruises with just my wife and I.  My son has been on two (he's 3) my daughter one (she's 1).  We enjoyed both of the cruises with the kids.  We spend time with them during the day, get off ship, explore.  Then at night put them in daycare from 5-10 or so so we can have dinner, gamble, drinks.  With the kids young we like the cruises since they have daycare available on-site and the workers are awesome.  We've also been to a beach house in South Carolina, twice with my son and once with my daughter and enjoy the cruise more than that.  It is more of a vacation and less work.

I never have worried about work back home while I'm gone.  I learned that the world still spins and things still get done while I'm gone and it isn't a concern of mine. 

I've worked with people that will lose vacation days every year for some unknown reason and I had to force people to take vacation and constantly reassure them everything will be fine while they're gone and we will manage.  If a company can't manage without an employee then the company has bigger issues.

I would never let a vacation day go unused!  I work to make money so I can travel, not so I can feel important.  If they can't get along without me then that's their problem.  Fortunately my counterpart likes to travel even more than me, so neither of us feel bad when we leave or have to cover for the other.

The problem now is my wife only gets 15 days off and I get 25.  Not sure what I'm going to do with the extra 10 days, but I doubt she'll let me take a week trip somewhere without her...

a5KOw4y_700b.jpg

I may not get the grand vacations with no kids but I defin do not believe in loosing them either...

We're taking the kids to key largo to dive this summer-been saving a long time for it and am defin looking forward to it..

The kids can only dive to 40-60' yet they are old enough to stay at the house so mom and I can go get some deep dives in.. Been far too long!

So my HS kids (marching) band announced that next year they are going to Ireland? wTF!!

And there is a chance I may have two kids in the band next year :(

I was Sitting in the auditorium surrounded by excited parents and I think I must have been the only one that was saying "**** this ****". Like $4K EA! I don't think there is any real fundraising that can put a dent in that..

I know I am a dick but I told my son (who was "so" excited) he needs to fund 50% if he wants to go. As well as find time to clean his room and keep the boys bathroom clean, etc...

Wife then says I'm a jerk....

I don't know why these schools think the kids need this ****. I have zero desire to go visit these euro trash countries but I think it's way too much for these schools to put this on the parents.

And mainly this irks me cause there are lots of vacations I have put off due to kids and now I have to possibly pay $8k for kids to go?

And then we wonder why all the younger people grow up to be entitled little shits...

Would flat out tell them they pay 100% or are not going.  They've got a year to cope with the disappointment that way.  I don't even like schools expecting parents to do fundraising for their kids, never mind forking over $4K to ship a kid off for band.  I've never spent even half that on a week long FAMILY vacation.

Back