Starting again for OCT 2016

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzvvvzzz

Reaction score
Here is my results from April 2016 need some work on a few topics.  I walked out kicking my self on 3 questions in the afternoon knowing i had answered them wrong. Any advise besides the Obvious STUDY STUDY and STUDY more.

2016exam.jpg

Hit the 'big ticket' items hard.  Study hard for the Hydra and Hydro AM (7), Traff Eng PM (11), etc.  Also, take advantage of the sections that have AM/PM overlap like studying topic Water will help with line item 5 (AM) and 17 (PM); studying topic Geometric Design will help with line item 6 (AM) and 10/11 (PM).  Put a lot of effort into the sections you did poorly on but don't take for granted any section you did well on - remember to still stay brushed up on line items 11, 13, 15, and 17.

Are you self-studying or taking a class?

Good luck.

Hit the 'big ticket' items hard.  Study hard for the Hydra and Hydro AM (7), Traff Eng PM (11), etc.  Also, take advantage of the sections that have AM/PM overlap like studying topic Water will help with line item 5 (AM) and 17 (PM); studying topic Geometric Design will help with line item 6 (AM) and 10/11 (PM).  Put a lot of effort into the sections you did poorly on but don't take for granted any section you did well on - remember to still stay brushed up on line items 11, 13, 15, and 17.

Are you self-studying or taking a class?

Good luck.

Self-studying and using a online PE review course thru ITRE. I have the CERM's, review course books (they cover all civil topics) and all the transportation reference material except one of the pavement books. My downfall is my education HS only. Been doing surveying and highway design for over 23 years.

For the PM it looks like traffic engineering and signal design were your weakest, really get to know the MUTCD and HCM.  Not sure if you use them in your day to day work, but they can seem overwhelming on first glance. A lot of the traffic engineering questions are simple look up or plug and chug equations from these two references.  I used Mansours transportation depth guide and really liked that.  It provided a lot of the traffic engineering equations in a simple form without the need to scour thru the HCM on test day.  

If you really want to improve your depth areas, take EET for the afternoon. Don't waste money on School of PE because their afternoon coverage is not nearly enough to pass the test.

Or get as many problems as you can and practice-practice-practice. Do not look for the answers, try to solve problems using reference material only! Good luck!

To be fair, you are PE with additional 6-8 questions!

If you really want to improve your depth areas, take EET for the afternoon. Don't waste money on School of PE because their afternoon coverage is not nearly enough to pass the test.Or get as many problems as you can and practice-practice-practice. Do not look for the answers, try to solve problems using reference material only! Good luck!

To be fair, you are PE with additional 6-8 questions!
I have to disagree on the School of PE comment. I used that for breadth and depth in April. I passed...I think it comes down to the person and what you put into it. I would be surprised if I got more than 4 or 5 problems wrong on the entire test.

I have to disagree on the School of PE comment. I used that for breadth and depth in April. I passed...I think it comes down to the person and what you put into it. I would be surprised if I got more than 4 or 5 problems wrong on the entire test.
Did you take both, so you can compare?

I did. EET is 100% better for the depth. I cannot comment on breadth though. School of PE provides adequate coverage for morning problems, but I've heard EET is much more organized.

Some people do not take any prep classes and pass with no issues. So yes, you are right, it comes down to the person :)

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:30 PM, DuckFlats said: I have to disagree on the School of PE comment. I used that for breadth and depth in April. I passed...I think it comes down to the person and what you put into it. I would be surprised if I got more than 4 or 5 problems wrong on the entire test.
Did you take both, so you can compare?I did. EET is 100% better for the depth. I cannot comment on breadth though. School of PE provides adequate coverage for morning problems, but I've heard EET is much more organized.

Some people do not take any prep classes and pass with no issues. So yes, you are right, it comes down to the person [emoji4]
Nope. I cannot make that comparison. I heard SoPE was pretty terrible in years past. I actually had the old notes from two or three years ago and they were garbage. The notes provided for the spring 2016 exam were great in my opinion. They added a lot more information. I was going to use EET, but I preferred the classroom setting, at least for the breadth.

Back