UK Degree going to USA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasontyh

Reaction score
Hi All,

This question might have been addressed, but I couldn't find any updated info on this.

As a Masters Degree holder (UK) in Civil Engineering,

I am allowed to take the FE exam and PE exam in:

1. Texas

2. South Carolina

Q1. Any other states?

Q2. Do I need to take the FE and PE in the same state? (Maybe I can take the FE in any test centres, only when I go for the PE, then I need to be in Texas?)

Q3. How long is the FE score valid for?

Q4. I need to be a US resident to sit for the exams?

Thanks in advance for any info :)

You'll have to check with each State (or territory) individually to see if a non-ABET degree qualifies you to sit for the FE exam. Each of the 55 jurisdictions have different requirements. For instance, you will have to apply for special permission to take the FE without an ABET degree or experience in Maryland and Pennsylvania; and in Pennsylvania the answer is almost always: NO.

The good news is that you only have to take (and pass) the FE once. It is good indefinitely, and it will transfer between jurisdictions. But you may need to fill out a couple extra forms if your EIT is in one state, and you want to take the PE in another state. It's not difficult, but it's just another hoop to jump through. The bad news is that some states may add extra requirements if you passed the FE, but still don't have an ABET degree. They may require extra years of professional experience to take the PE, i.e. Virginia.

Generally one would take the exam in the same jurisdiction that they are applying for the licence. I've *heard* of people taking it in a different state than they are applying for a licence, but I've never actually seen the process executed or talked with someone who did it. You'd have to talk with the local board to see what is possible. Again, every jurisdiction is different.

I'm not aware of any states that require a test taker to be a US resident. I doubt it's a rule, but It's possible such a rule exists in some states and I'm not aware of it. 

I'm not aware of any states that require a test taker to be a US resident. I doubt it's a rule, but It's possible such a rule exists in some states and I'm not aware of it. 
In the unlikely event you want to get a PE license in the US Virgin Islands, they require you to be a resident to get a full license (even by reciprocity/comity). Non residents can only get temp licenses for specific projects. Some states require you to be a resident of the actual state to take one of the tests. For example, in Missouri you have to write a letter saying why you want to take the exam in that state if you are a resident of another state. For most people, it's no big deal, "I live in Kansas/Illinois on the border and my firm does work in Missouri."

http://dlca.vi.gov/boardcertifications/steps/aelrequirements/requirements.htmPeriod of Licensure:All permanent licenses are issued on an annual basis. Temporary licenses are issued to non-residents for specific projects only. Conditional Licenses are issued to non-residents associated with a registered V.I. professional architect, engineer or land surveyor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back