Copy of book in a binder allowed for exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewibolo

Reaction score
Good evening,

I am trying to figure out if it is allowed to bring in reference material that is basically a copy of a book in a 3-ring binder?  I am thinking about taking the exam in Illinois.  If this issue has been asked previously, I apologize as I only found 1 thread on it from back in 2012.  Thank you in advance.

So long it's bound, it's allowed. You can't have it stapled or loose. Though, the guy in front of me in April had loose pages spread out on his desk. None of the proctors said anything. Don't try it though. Make 3-punch holes and put it in a 3-ring binder. Download the guide. And no fitbit. http://ncees.org/exams/cbt/examinee-guide/

Sent from my SURTAB-722-3G-HD-1S using Tapatalk

I thought I read that Illinois has restrictions on the types of books that most other states don't have....not sure if that is current anymore. 

Definitely find out for the state you are taking the exam. I had everything binded (not 3 ring binder), and Testmasters shot me an email saying everything needed to be in a 3 ring binder. I thought is was ridiculous, but I tore out everything and put it in a 3 ring binder. I lost an entire afternoon doing this to realize on the day of exam others were carrying the Testmasters original binded material. They didn't check my  material at all. I tested in TX. 

Ya specific states may have different requirements, but in general, all material is allowed as long as its bound.

I felt guilty, when I took the SE (both days) I had a bunch of errata stuffed in the beginning of each of my code books.  Everytime I'd open up a different code all the loose errata pages would fall out.  I kept calling over the proctor to let them know what was happening so I didn't get in trouble.  I think by about the 3rd time, they were just over it... haha I don't blame them though I suppose.

3 ring binders are fine, as are those plastic type bindings.

I had a few things stapled with those heavy-duty staples and they took them

Good evening,

I am trying to figure out if it is allowed to bring in reference material that is basically a copy of a book in a 3-ring binder?  I am thinking about taking the exam in Illinois.  If this issue has been asked previously, I apologize as I only found 1 thread on it from back in 2012.  Thank you in advance.
Just speaking from my experience in CA... 3-ring bound book copies was no problem at all. 

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I just called the Illinois Board of Professional Engineers and they said that whatever the ncees examinee guide allows for, that is what Illinois allows. It seems I'm good to go based on that answer from IBPE and accounts from you all.  I appreciate the input.  

What's a Fitbit, is that like when you only do a little of cardio?
A fitbit is a commonly worn article of clothing similar to a watch, but NCEES uses it as a "gotcha" to see if an examinee carefully read through the testing instructions booklet. Those that fail the 'question' must pay to retake the test six months later.

someone should try and wear one of those old 1980 style pedometers and see what happens?

What's a Fitbit, is that like when you only do a little of cardio?
lol I had no clue until this nonsense started spreading on this forum. Fit for fitness, and Bit for 0s and 1s I suppose. Sounds like one of those health watches people wear these days.

The real answer is "You don't want to know" and "Don't bring one".

Basically, NCEES was a tad unclear about their Fitbit policy this past April. It sounds like Maryland test takers got the worse of it where they'd let people take the morning portion then kicked them out in the afternoon for having it. For my test in California, they didn't even bring it up. They really stressed on calculators and beeping watches. Elsewhere in CA, the proctors announced that Fitbits needed to be left outside or whatever.

Anyway... pretty inconsistent and ended up disqualifying some people who now have to take the test again.

We found out it is cheaper and better to print the PDFs and do fastback binding at the local print shop. We were able to bound up to ~200 to 300 sheets per fastback and it cost about 4 bucks per book. 

Binders: You have to buy binders, hole punch, hope the paper doesn't rip during studying / the test, the binders are bulky and nonstackable, and very awkward to flip through the sheets in a large binder. 

Fastback flips like a book and overall just cheaper and easier to use. 

IMG_20160616_100323.jpg

right, just study material - the binders of notes from EET and notes taken, etc.  Thanks. 

Back