When am I a PE? Post exam or post registration?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uhkhu

Reaction score
I just passed the PE in April and I'm curious when I'm officially considered a Professional Engineer?  Can I take the obnoxious EIT off my email signature or do I need to wait until I register with the state board?

I just passed the PE in April and I'm curious when I'm officially considered a Professional Engineer?  Can I take the obnoxious EIT off my email signature or do I need to wait until I register with the state board?
Yes please take it off. Go "naked" until you get your PE license number.

I would say once you're given a number an listed as "active" by your state's board.

Edit:

So this would be "post registration" with the board and after all fees are paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are folks out there who actually put EIT in their email sig?  
You know, I avoided it for years, but then my work provided lovely business cards showing: 

"EIT ENGINEERING INTERN DONT TRUST THIS PERSON"

so I succumbed. 

I'll go naked for now

Engineers with "EIT" on cards or in signatures are always a source of chuckles around our office...
I agree and it was annoying for me because when I was working aerospace, I was an Engineer. No technicalities about it. I was always bemused by my friends clinging to the EIT title, then moving into the Civil realm, I saw it was a bit more common.

I remember this topic coming up last exam cycle.  Back then I was at a meeting and had a guy had me his business card with Joe Schmoe, M.S. on there. I thought it was one of the most ludicrous things I'd ever seen.

I wanted to hand him my card after writing in M.S., M.S. after P.E. on my card since I have two of those M.S. things ;)

I tried to get leed ap off my card and my company refused.   the company was on a mission to get as many leed as possible requiring us to take the exam.   I put one night of prep into it, now I'm stuck with it.    

I work with some who have joe schmoe, bsee on their email signatures.

I hate tapatalk

The only way my company would let us put the word "Engineer" in our signature without a PE is if it's in the phrase "Engineer in Training".  Go figure.

My first job they also printed business cards based on your file so mine said:

Road Guy, EIT,LSIT

Then I sweet talked the right overhead person to print me some new ones..

LSIT is the survey version of the EIT for those not in the know...

But they are technically a license and you get a # so I chuckle less over seeing EIT than I do PMP or any of the other certifications...

PMP is a joke! I got mine because the company wanted it and somehow looks up to it

Its a joke compared to the PE.  Everyone who has one complains how hard it is but NEWSFLASH ITS NOT, its just people who have it talking it up

I remember this topic coming up last exam cycle.  Back then I was at a meeting and had a guy had me his business card with Joe Schmoe, M.S. on there. I thought it was one of the most ludicrous things I'd ever seen.

I wanted to hand him my card after writing in M.S., M.S. after P.E. on my card since I have two of those M.S. things ;)
I always thought letters after the name was shorthand for "Not sure you heard, but I'm kind of a big deal." *eyeroll* 

So would "PhD" also be gauche? Where do you draw the line? IMO they are all qualifiers and its up to the individual which one they are keen to promote, warranted or not.

Someone wants to put BSME on their biz card? I say Go for it... Just don't go crazy Mr BS MS PE PiMP.

Just out of curiosity, why do some consider PMP to be a joke?  I only work with a few people who have it and they complain about the professional development hour maintenance every 3 years.

And just for kicks, here's an email sig for you @Road Guy, from one of the profs I had for my Proj Mgmt for Engineers grad school course:

Dana M. Johnson, PhD, CQE, CQA, CMQ/OE, CSSGB, CPA, CMA
Professor, Supply Chain and Engineering Management
School of Business and Economics
Adjunct Professor, Mechanical Engineering
College of Engineering

Back