Professional Advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThoroughPM

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought this was as good a place as any.  If I'm in the wrong location, please let me know and I'll take this somewhere else. 

I have a coworker who I've become good friends with over the years and she is interviewing with one of our clients.  She has asked my opinion on the opportunity and I am very torn about how to answer and how to feel that one of our clients would hire one of our staff without reaching out to us first for our blessing.  It seems to me like it could damage our companies professional relationship.  I am also unsure of how her departure would impact our friendship outside of work.  Additionally, I pretty much despise the man who would be her boss as he's a snake in the grass, in my opinion. I have considered reaching out to our senior staff for input, but I can't really ask without giving away her plans and potentially damaging her standing if she decides to stay.  Looking for general experiences and thoughts because this is a first for me and find myself uncertain how to proceed. Any insight is much appreciated.

Our profession (engineering in general) is a rather small world and this kind of things happens a lot in all reality.  There is a phrase we say in the civil/transportation world:

"The toes you step on today may be the ass you kiss tomorrow"  - when co workers become clients & sometimes vice versa

If she is truly your friend and she thinks this is good for her career then I would just let it play out, maybe your company will offer her more money to stay?  But I think your safe to voice your concerns about her potential future boss to her.

If asked for "my opinion" in the same circumstances, I would probably say something to the effect of "if you think it's a good opportunity, go for it.  I don't think it would work for me." and then refuse to elaborate, though I might also proffer that "I find it odd the company would not contact the firm first before soliciting you.  To me, that has appearances I'd want to avoid."

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it highly irregular that there isn't a contract clause restricting poaching of employees.  With that said, she should definitely go through the process and at least get an offer from the company that she could use to get a raise if possible.  Unless you have seen proof that her potentially new manager is indeed a jerk, I would hesitate to bring that up also.

I find it highly irregular that there isn't a contract clause restricting poaching of employees.  With that said, she should definitely go through the process and at least get an offer from the company that she could use to get a raise if possible.  Unless you have seen proof that her potentially new manager is indeed a jerk, I would hesitate to bring that up also.
Why hesitate?  If she is indeed a good friend, I would definitely let her know what you have experienced.  In my field (MEP), engineers go from sales to consulting quite often, and I don't believe there is any clause preventing one company from contacting employees for work opportunities.  

I am also unsure of how her departure would impact our friendship outside of work.  
Are you work friends or do you hang out outside of work too?  Are you saying you don't want her to leave for risk of losing her friendship?

In the defense industry poaching clauses are fairly standard.  I'm not sure about other industries.

I did not recommend him speaking to her about the new manager since his post seemed to be a "I have a gut feel this guy is a snake in the grass" as opposed to "I have dealt with him several times and here's why I think he's a bad fit."  If he has actual examples of interactions that proves this guy is a bad fit, then by all means have a sit down and talk to her.  If it's just a gut feel, then it's not worth it.

I think those clauses are usually for the contractor / consultant not to poach the clients employees, not the other way around?

Some of the State DOT's tried that in the Southeast about 10 years ago and lost in court, states (non union states) that are "right to work" states makes it where you cant really deny someone a chance to work someplace else.

I can see State/Federal level not being able to implement that.

I believe at the company I was at it went both ways because we (the contractor) weren't allowed to hire employees from our prime, but the prime wasn't allowed to hire anyone from us either.  I believe there was a one (1) year waiting period before you were employable.

several DOT's tried to implement in their contracts that they couldn't not hire someone who had left the DOT for 24 months (unless they retired)  they were tired of people stealing their people "after they had been trained" but the DOT's were not paying much.  No consultants challenged the rule but several contractors did and the state AG agreed with them before it actually went to court and made them do away with the ruling..  then that DOT got a new commissioner who helped the professional staff get some better pay so they wouldn't all leave....

I guess to clarify my situation, I have dealt with her future boss if she changes companies.  We are a general contractor and they're a university we do work for.  She'd switch from the contractor side to the construction administration side for them.  

Again, thanks for the feedback!   

Back