Failed - re check scores?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svg1

Reaction score
So... I took the civil geotechnical depth in Texas. Got a 28 in the morning and 27 in the afternoon. Honestly thought my morning was a helloovaa better! 

I am looking for an insight on having the board recheck my scores. Is it worth it? Has anyone heard of a situation when it actually turned out to be a 'pass' after the recheck?? 

I have taken this exam way too many times before. I have always been "close" but not able to go over the hump! Took EET this time but....

Sorry to hear that.  you seem to be very close.  I had a client who had a recheck done when it was the written version long time ago.  He was able to convince them to give him more partial credit and got the fail reversed (Amazing).

I'm not sure it would work on a multiple choice test, unless your score sheet was incorrectly read.  Then again what do you have to lose (unless they charge you a fee)?

Thank you! I believe there is a fee ($75 if I recollect). I would bite one more bullet and do it IF there was a decent possibility. 

There are a couple posts on this board saying no one has ever had a re-check and a different outcome.

I think if you call NCEES they will tell you the same thing.

^^^ I agree. Save your money, unless you had erasure marks all over the page, it won't work in your favor. Your score was very close, your best bet it to take the test in October in kicks its ass.

if I missed it by one and wasn't allowed to retake the exam, I might try.

Some states have a max allowed number of times allowed to take it.

probably a rare request and mistakes are even rarer.

Never resulted in a change in the multiple choice format apparently.  Not true in the old format

I missed the EIT by 1 point and had them regrade it.   still had to take it again. 

as far as the 8 hour, many many moons ago a coworker missed the PE by 18 points..  He paid to have them regrade it. same score.. 

Thank you everyone. I am still bummed over this. Doesn't look like regrading will help any.  :deadhorse:

Thank you! I believe there is a fee ($75 if I recollect). I would bite one more bullet and do it IF there was a decent possibility. 
I actually called my board last year and the lady was brutally honest and said she has never seen one that was a fail and went to a pass. I would say, save your money. You would need at least 1 more question right. Do you remember anything that you didn't erase correctly? Or anything like that?

I paid last time because I got a 69% in Texas. On the application they mentione that the machine has never found an error in the history of PE exams. I forked over the $75 anyway and the score came back the same a 69%. I sucked it up and studied another 4 months (150 hours) and passed this time around. It's a really bad feeling and I did put more stress on the family because the additional 150 hours I could have spend it with my little boy. Thank God its over though. Go get pissed off, hit a few walls and then sit down and study your weak subjects. It really helps. You'll get it next time now that you have a better idea how they phrase the questions.

same here Civil Geotech. 56/80 :( I still think they had bunch of wrong questions on the geotech. afternoon!

giphyLUVEUVW8.gif

A co-worker of mine contested his exam and was able to get a few extra points and pass.  But this was many years ago when the exam was long-hand solutions/answers.  With a MC exam, the truth is there is probably a 99.9999% chance you scored a legitimate 55 and missed the cut score, and there is a 0.00001% chance you really scored higher but the machine made a mistake.  It's not worth your time, money, or energy to challenge it.  I'd spend the time studying hard for the next exam.  Good luck. 

Back