Failed, opinions on study course (CE Structural)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerStroke79_PE

Reaction score
So I didnt pass. I scored a 62. When I opened my PM section of the test and looked at each problem I felt I was doomed. So It was. I took CE Structural. I am planning on taking the EET course online. I know of School of PE and Testmasters as well as EIT experts. What do you all think and would recommend? For my diagnostic, "Design and Details of Structures: Materials and material properties, Component design and detailing" is what put me to the floor. I have no doubt I can pass on my next attempt. But I also don't want to go at it without a study course. Any help is appreciated. Congratulations to those who passed!! Well done!

Thanks, 

I thought the School of PE (classroom) was excellent.
I thought school of PE was great for the morning section.  For the depth review though, the guy teaching it knew his stuff, but is a bridge guy.  I thought he spent way too much time on AASHTO, while multiple people in the comments were constantly saying they would prefer to not spend this much time on it.  You can probably find posted somewhere how much AASHTO was on the exam.  The rest of the depth review was definitely helpful though.

I did Civil Water Resources and took EET. I got my results yesterday and passed! I had taken Environmental twice before, studied on my own, and failed miserably, so I highly recommend EET. Great course, great instructors. Totally worth it! 

So I didnt pass. I scored a 62. When I opened my PM section of the test and looked at each problem I felt I was doomed. So It was. I took CE Structural. I am planning on taking the EET course online. I know of School of PE and Testmasters as well as EIT experts. What do you all think and would recommend? For my diagnostic, "Design and Details of Structures: Materials and material properties, Component design and detailing" is what put me to the floor. I have no doubt I can pass on my next attempt. But I also don't want to go at it without a study course. Any help is appreciated. Congratulations to those who passed!! Well done!

Thanks, 
http://www.eetusa.com/civil-pe-catalog/structural  :eek:

I guess I'll post this again here, just in case someone who has experience isn't looking back through the PE prep course forum...

How is the structures portion for EET?  I guess specifically the depth portion.  I've heard amazing things about this EET overall and was thinking about enrolling.  But, when looking through, it seems like everyone is referring to EET WRE.  

The only thing I saw regarding the structures dealt with the breadth portion and people said something to the effect of wanting to rip their eyeballs out, haha.  But I wasn't sure if that was due to the fact that they hated structures or if the instructor weren't very good.

Any advice would be thoroughly appreciated.  

I guess I'll post this again here, just in case someone who has experience isn't looking back through the PE prep course forum...

How is the structures portion for EET?  I guess specifically the depth portion.  I've heard amazing things about this EET overall and was thinking about enrolling.  But, when looking through, it seems like everyone is referring to EET WRE.  

The only thing I saw regarding the structures dealt with the breadth portion and people said something to the effect of wanting to rip their eyeballs out, haha.  But I wasn't sure if that was due to the fact that they hated structures or if the instructor weren't very good.

Im not sure i mentioned this before, but i actually took test masters online course. I failed obviously. Their PM structural courses are not enough , i can attest to that. However i have heard that their water res./env. Is spot on. Their morning courses got me through the morning just fine az i got 30/40. The other ten ill take responsibility for. But for the afternoon they lack material. What upsets me is that Not a single question i had for them from practice problems was answered. Furthermore, after i emailed them to live up to their "guarantee passing" so i can restudy the morning portion at least, they completely ignored me. This being said Testmasters, which had served me well for FE, was not an option and i had read school of PE was on the weak side for structural PM section. On the other hand i have read great things on eet for every pm section they offer. I actually tried signing up for the structural pm section this last time but they had No spaces available. 

Good Luck! 

Thanks, 
My strategy was Structural - 1 month; Civil (Geotech, Construction, WRE, Transportation) - 1 month along with a review course; Structural - 1 month; Practice Tests - 1 week.

It's a little bit of both. I don't know any structural stuff so I really struggled here. Wouldn't have mattered who the instructor was. But the the guy for EET structural (not the seismic dude), is definitely the weak link as far as awesomeness goes. He is brilliant, and maybe if you're taking depth and know this stuff already you'd have a better experience, but if you're clueless to begin with ....

I took SOPE review and found the structural depth to be lacking. I am planning on trying EET online review.  @Hemi79  how have you found the EET for structural depth so far?

I took SOPE review and found the structural depth to be lacking. I am planning on trying EET online review.  @Hemi79  how have you found the EET for structural depth so far?
bflem I am in the same boat as you. I took the test for the first time in April and I did the School of PE review class. The AM review was very thorough and helped a lot but the Structural PM review was short and was nowhere near in depth as I believe it needed to be. I also want to hear about anyone's experience with the EET's structural PM review session. I also am debating on whether to do the AM review session with the School of PE for free or spend more money and take the AM review session through EET. Any input anyone has on this would be greatly appreciated.

I took structure portion with EET, i cannot say their class is excellent but is thorough. The thing is you cannot totally rely on them. For breadth part and Seismic, EET obviously is excellent, close to the text level. For structural portion, last time i took exam with self study, 24/40, this time with EET 23/40, but my breadth portion does improve a lot. So what I mean is not saying they are not good, just you cannot rely on them to pass the test, you need to put additional effort if you're not a good exam taker, like me. Taking their structure portion definitely is better than self study for me, but need a lot of practise in your own time

I took structure portion with EET, i cannot say their class is excellent but is thorough. The thing is you cannot totally rely on them. For breadth part and Seismic, EET obviously is excellent, close to the text level. For structural portion, last time i took exam with self study, 24/40, this time with EET 23/40, but my breadth portion does improve a lot. So what I mean is not saying they are not good, just you cannot rely on them to pass the test, you need to put additional effort if you're not a good exam taker, like me. Taking their structure portion definitely is better than self study for me, but need a lot of practise in your own time
Yeah the EET Structural Depth was not helpful. I think due to it being offered for the first time there was many issues. I see now they have fixed the schedule to not skip lectures and topics.

Yeah the EET Structural Depth was not helpful. I think due to it being offered for the first time there was many issues. I see now they have fixed the schedule to not skip lectures and topics.
This is interesting comments. Thanks for the input. This is a first for me in terms of EET reviews. I've already signed up with them and I like the material. But I'll have to see how I feel when I finish the depth portion, hopefully by the end of June, that's my main concern ( the afternoon ). 

Back