EB.com Hunting thread..

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
I apologize for the quality of this pic (phone, zoomed in, this was a long way out) but look at the size of this Elk Herd!

& it actually extends way out each side of the picture

ELK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They're usually herded up in combined herds this time of year, so yeah, you see some big ones.  What state is that?  CO?

yeah that's CO, these you cant shoot at this location (RMNP) but there are other many herds out there...  I missed the regular draw for tags this year and now have to wait and see which one didn't get picked or returned..

Yea the lottery system sucks for that reason. We are having issues with that for gator and duck permits. For gators they require you to put in your payment info to be automatically billed if you get drawn. The problem was that too many people would just apply and never get their tags. Permit price is about $275, so people aren't going to be applying "for the fun of it" this year. Unfortunately it's the best way. We have a preference point system as well though. Every time you don't get a draw on your choices, you get a point to help you out the next season.

CO draws for elk tags now?

Goddamn out of staters, increasing the population.... :D

I'm not sure if its an actual lottery, but there is a draw period.  soon they are going to either need to up the tags or bring the wolves in (literally)  Been doing a bunch of reading over the winter, seems like hunting #'s are way down and the herd is way up.

I remember reading something about the wolves in that region. I think it was a Steve Rinella article. I'll see if I can find it

Alaska state and federal fish and wildlife folks apparently have more freedom to control wolves.  On a recent village trip, I was reading an informational brochure put out by USFWS about the results of culling wolves in the small part of Alaska I was visiting (Allakaket area).  They killed something like 30-50 wolves (and gave them to the Native villages for traditional use), and the following spring they measured more surviving moose calves.  But they acknowledged a ton of calves still got killed by bears, so time to kill some bears, too!

The Michigan legislature enacted a law a few years ago to allow wolf hunting.  The PETA types all went apeshit and got it on the ballot and now wolf hunting is no longer allowed.

Yea those PETA type tried to prevent black bear hunting in Florida last year. It was the first hunt in 30+ years I believe. Luckily our wildlife commission doesn't fold to a bunch of uniformed idiots making loud noises.

I'm not sure if its an actual lottery, but there is a draw period.  soon they are going to either need to up the tags or bring the wolves in (literally)  Been doing a bunch of reading over the winter, seems like hunting #'s are way down and the herd is way up.
You don't want wolves brought in.  They should up the number of tags instead.

The wolfs have worked out pretty nicely with Yellowstone, however that part of the country is a little different than other parts of the world.

I think if you make it legal to also hunt wolves outside of the national Park that should help the cattle ranchers concerns, or they could just build taller fences...,

The wolfs have worked out pretty nicely with Yellowstone, however that part of the country is a little different than other parts of the world.
Actually, they haven't worked out very well there.  A lot of misinformation about that.  It's really bad in WY, MT, and ID where they've brought them in.  Idaho in particular is having a heck of a time with them.

Guess it's who you ask(hunters or cattlemen) but if you can't find something to hunt in either of those three states then those people need to find another hobby.

Ever drive through Yellowstone where they are more wolves than all those other areas combined? Tons of things to eat, they didn't all disappear.. Going on a decade?

They have a Right to eat ;) just as we do..ranchers could just build better fences or have better security but they are cheap, even though they will pass cost on to us.

But I do think they (the wolves) should also be open to be hunted themselves wherever they are reintroduced,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Without wolves, there'd be no 3-wolf moon!

abc_wn_shirt-090527_ms.jpg

Back