Which is a good crossover/SUV (V6) with price < $18k and odometer < 50k?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need a new used crossover/SUV for driving a lot in New England winter weather. What would you suggest for under $18k with under 50k miles on it?

If you're a lesbian, you'd be obligated to get a Subaru.

Other than that, I had a Jeep that I never had any problems with, but it was a "Jeep" Jeep, not one of the SUV's.  Also had one of the newer style Ford Explorers that was pretty nice.

^^ The new Crosstrek seems pretty good

How big of a car are you looking to get?  Rav 4 size or Ford Explorer?  Is reliability important to you?  Can you DIY or will you be going to a mechanic?  

^^ The new Crosstrek seems pretty good

How big of a car are you looking to get?  Rav 4 size or Ford Explorer?  Is reliability important to you?  Can you DIY or will you be going to a mechanic?  
RAV4 is good, but pre 2013 model. Ford Explorer is nice but out of price range, I guess. Usual maintenance, DIY, anything specialized, mechanic. Crosstrek seems to be a weirdly morphed hatchback.

Who needs an SUV?

camaro_examiner_post_3_1.jpg

I also saw a few Muranos with the specs you're looking for at that price.  I haven't owned one, but I did like the one I test drove in 2012.  Or what about an X-Terra?  I have a couple of friends that really love theirs.

Not sure what type of weak snow you get in NE but those little cross over SUVs don't fly in CO;)

771d0e5a27cda6669cb38ea0a0e11cd2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I would buy one of it wasn't for the shitty gas millage.

I get 21 mpg!  Which isn't bad when you used to drive a Tahoe (11 mpg)

mpg will be less when I put a small lift on it next year..

I've been spoiled with the gas millage I get with my Corolla.

escapes have terrible reliability issues, I don't think the Rav4's do all that well beyond 130Kmiles either.

I was faced with a similar decision and instead of buying something I knew I wouldn't want (&amp; probably wouldn't last) for $20K I bought something I liked and will most likely last for $29K.  My last two jeeps each saw 180K miles

So you work from home once every 3 years?

On snow days here everyone either Goes to work or goes skiing ;)

Why do Jeeps always get rated so low for reliability by the consumer reports type groups?  I love the thought of getting a Jeep, and your experience (180k miles on two) sounds great, but I've been scared off by too many "worst 5 cars" lists that name Jeeps in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it the Jeep Wrangler or other jeep models?

I wouldn't own a Cherokee or grand Cherokee or many others models..

But I don't think you can go wrong with a wrangler. Owning a wrangler is a lifestyle tha can't fit into some survey for consumer reports magazine...

Also on the picture above that was taken after a work day!

Back