Computer Based PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JalapenoScott

Reaction score
From someone who took the written FE, CBT FE and the written PE, I am interested in how they plan on a CBT PE.  Those Pearson rooms that the FE are in are small and someone one with 100 lbs of books would have issue.  Any ideas?

Yeah I am curious as well, seems like it keeps getting delayed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's my understanding that when the PE goes from pencil and paper to CBT, it will be closed book.  They'll provide you with a reference manual just as they do with the FE, FS, and the PS. 

It's my understanding that when the PE goes from pencil and paper to CBT, it will be closed book.  They'll provide you with a reference manual just as they do with the FE, FS, and the PS. 
If that is the case it will be interesting to see how that affects difficulty. 

If that is the case it will be interesting to see how that affects difficulty. 
Exactly.  To me, knowing which references to study from, bring to the exam, and how to use them correctly and efficiently is a huge part of the existing exam.  It will be interesting if that whole element is removed and everyone has the same reference guide during the exam. 

If they are going to provide the reference manuals then the PE basically become the FE 2.0 . PE was supposed to be "practical"

I guess in 20 years there will be an app you download from

Your phone and take the exam...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but passing this test dos not a competent engineer make. So it really doesn't matter. Other than being able to tell the younger generations you used a pencil to take a test once and have then ask you "what is a pencil?". 

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but passing this test dos not a competent engineer make. So it really doesn't matter. Other than being able to tell the younger generations you used a pencil to take a test once and have then ask you "what color pencil?". 
Fixd

Exactly.  To me, knowing which references to study from, bring to the exam, and how to use them correctly and efficiently is a huge part of the existing exam.  It will be interesting if that whole element is removed and everyone has the same reference guide during the exam. 
or the problem statements get extensively larger...instead of going to a specific reference, they include excerpts

the test will end up being 2 questions with 30 parts each.

Can you imagine the size of the reference PDF you would need for the exam as is? Are the computer strong enough to manage a file that size?

^ the bigger issue will be is the little white board and marker provided large and strong enough for a PE question.

The FE went up $100 when it went to CBT. I wonder if the same holds true for the PE.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

We use pdfs for some of our references at work (Structural Engineering). Since the building codes change every three years, keeping updated resources is an expensive part of doing business. Now most of the codes are sold as a pdf for a discount. But I agree, searching a pdf using control F does not directly relate to your level of familiarity of the resource itself. Maybe they will disable that feature during the exam. My coworker took the electronic FE and used control F to find answers to most of his questions in the pdf reference book. It's also hard to cheat/copy exam questions when your every move is on video, so I like that part of it.

I also like the part of getting your results back faster and not having to wait six months for the next exam. In Florida you have three chances to pass the PE before you have to take "approved" classes in your subject matter, or go back to college for a few credits. I can see some people blowing through three exam tries pretty quickly with the CBT version. Seems like a moneymaker for NCEES. That would avoid the cost of a hotel stay for many test takers since the Pearson center would most likely be closer than an exam location.

The eventual goal for CBT PE exams would likely be to offer the exams year-round.  The FE is now CBT year-round.  I think CA is heading toward that with their CBT CA-Survey and CA- Seismic exams.  A phenomenon that happens when exams are offered year-round is there is a huge decrease in examinees.  The reason for this is because the examinee doesn't need to commit to a fixed spring or fall exam date.  So the examinee says to him/herself "I'd like to study for one more month, then I'll sign up".  Repeat.  People will even just not show up to their paid exam and forfeit their exam fees.  NCEES reported a surplus of revenue because of this.  I suspect we'll see this same phenomenon with a CBT PE. 

The eventual goal for CBT PE exams would likely be to offer the exams year-round.  The FE is now CBT year-round.  I think CA is heading toward that with their CBT CA-Survey and CA- Seismic exams.  A phenomenon that happens when exams are offered year-round is there is a huge decrease in examinees.  The reason for this is because the examinee doesn't need to commit to a fixed spring or fall exam date.  So the examinee says to him/herself "I'd like to study for one more month, then I'll sign up".  Repeat.  People will even just not show up to their paid exam and forfeit their exam fees.  NCEES reported a surplus of revenue because of this.  I suspect we'll see this same phenomenon with a CBT PE. 
"A surprising impact of NCEES installing a fee of $50 to reschedule an exam is that we unintentionally developed a new revenue stream, which for the first 10 months of 2014 exceeded $180,000. We have much work to do to better understand the behavior of candidates and how to motivate them to schedule and take their exam."

-page 10 of  http://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Licensure-Exchange-Feb-2015.pdf 

Back