Stamping Drawings for Family Lumber Mill Addition

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoilerEng

Reaction score
Just a quick question about using my PE/SE Stamp...

My parents own a lumber mill and recently put a 700 sq ft lean to on the side of one of their buildings.

The state flagged it, saying they need a permit - if I create the structural drawings, can I stamp them without being under an LLC or any sort of business?  This is just to get the structural Construction Design Release

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm almost certain that you can, though you do then take liability for any engineering deficiencies, of course. Also, I'm not sure if it's prohibited by whichever State you are in, but you might also be able to get away with providing a letter certifying the acceptable construction of the structure, instead of having to draft everything up.

An aside/unqualified opinion: Make sure your out-of-plane wind/seismic ties are acceptable.

Yes.  The biggest issue would be the liability, but I'm guessing you wouldn't get sued by your parents if there were a problem.  Besides that it looks like the thing is basically done so I'm assuming (hoping) whoever did it has some sort of construction experience and it isn't on the brink of collapse.

When I worked at the County Engineers office here I did plan review for this kind of stuff among other things.  On more than one occasion we had plans that were submitted on scrap paper or napkins.  There would be guys who come in for a permit not realizing that they needed drawings.  They'd ask to borrow a piece of paper and then draw it up right there at the counter (obviously, that was for stuff that didn't need a stamp).  Bottom line, unless there was something blatantly obvious, we didn't really check the design to make sure something was designed right, we just wanted to make sure someone competent had done it.  I'm guessing the state is similar.

Thanks for the replies - pretty much confirms my original thoughts.  

I agree that the liability would fall on my shoulders, but also that my parents wouldn't choose to sue me.  The construction is being completed by a competent contractor, so I'm not worried about that.  My plan is to draft up a floor plan, framing plan and then throw some details on it.  My experience with residential add-ons (such as a sun room), is that a stamped letter describing the construction has been good enough.  However, with the state I'll probably put together a floor plan, framing plan and some details.

The real key is to check the state requirements for using your PE stamp.  If the regulations require that the PE stamping the drawings has professional liability insurance then you are not in compliance with the regulations and submitting the stamped drawings to a state agency.  It doesn't matter that your parents won't sue you.

If you are in compliance with the state PE board regulations then...stamp away.

Back