Maryland Exam Information

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew2288

Reaction score
Hey guys, 

Unfortunately, I was one of the unlucky few that was dismissed from the Exam during the PM Session with about one hour left in the Exam for having a Fitbit. 

Based on the number of Fitbits that was confiscated, I estimate at least 10 that were dismissed. No one to blame but myself - just wanted to warn everyone for future exams, especially given the popularity of fitness trackers...

NCEES has informed me that they do a full review and let the State know. Hopefully, the State will let me sit for the October Exam. 

Good Luck - Hope everything went well for everyone. 

Thanks

Wow. I was at the Maryland Exam and had no idea this was happening. Is this explicitly in the rules? 
Here's what it says in the candidate agreement in the examinee guide (emphasis is mine):

Grounds for Dismissal from the Exam and/or Invalidation of
Exam Results
• Having a cell phone in your possession
• Having loose papers, legal pads, writing tablets, or unbound notes in your
possession
• Having a device with copying, recording, or communication capabilities
in your possession. These include but are not limited to cameras, pagers,
PDAs, radios, headsets, tape players, calculator watches, smartwatches,
electronic dictionaries, electronic translators, transmitting devices, fitness
trackers
, and digital media players such as iPods.
I guess since the proctors can't tell the capabilities of every type, they just don't allow any of them?

Oh WTF????

Did they make an announcement before the test??

Oh WTF????

Did they make an announcement before the test??
They always told you to read the agreement and raise your hand with any questions when I took it. Can't imagine that process will change any time soon.

Thanks for the support. At this point, I'm just hoping that they'll let me sit for October Exam. It'll just make it soooo much sweeter when I pass the exam!

Honestly, I was fairly confident that I passed the April Exam. So it just sucks that this happened. But again - no one to blame but myself. The fitness trackers were added fairly recently - I believe in October 2015. 

I have a feeling that they'll be much more vigilant on the next cycle. Having 10+ dismissed from an exam..... not good! haha

Thanks again for the kind words everyone! I hope you all passed!!  

The announcements that they made prior to the exam specified non-approved calcs and cell phones. 

I actually saw a few raise their hands to give the proctors their cells phones and calculators. But no announcements regarding fitness trackers.

It's a shame the proctors didn't do some kind of check for that before the exam began.  At my testing center last fall, there were checks in the am and pm prior to beginning, for that sort of thing.  They were pretty helpful in reminding folks what the rules were.

It's a shame the proctors didn't do some kind of check for that before the exam began.  At my testing center last fall, there were checks in the am and pm prior to beginning, for that sort of thing.  They were pretty helpful in reminding folks what the rules were.
My thoughts exactly...

There was no mention of them in FL. I actually don't recall seeing anyone get asked to leave. But I could have just been zoned in.

The announcements that they made prior to the exam specified non-approved calcs and cell phones. 

I actually saw a few raise their hands to give the proctors their cells phones and calculators. But no announcements regarding fitness trackers.
In Houston, right before we started they stopped and announced their had been a change (I'm not sure what prompted this). They announced Fitbit's were not allowed and if anyone had one they need to surrender it. There were several people who obviously did.

That certainly sucks man. Keep your head up and hang in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's really f'd up. They make a huge deal with cell phones (stating you cant have them) they owe it to the people who are paying to take the exam to point out things that will get them kicked out in my opinion. People have too many things to think about, you would think an agency who is essentially paid by (us) and the state (taxpayers) would strive to make things as simple as possible..

Were the proctors in Maryland the kind like we had back in GA, where they basically wheel them from the retirement home the morning of the exam?

I'm sorry that happened to you. That sucks!

The woman at the front desk checking names and DLs for the exam saw mine and mentioned that it wasn't allowed. Had she not said anything, I wouldn't have known. 

That sucks!  Glad I'm not a techie sort of person, I would have forgotten to take it off too.  My old school wrist watch is staple for me...to the point I am lost all day if I forget to put it on.  

I guess I'm out of the techincal loop...I didn't realize there was an external recording feature to those things.  

That sucks!  Glad I'm not a techie sort of person, I would have forgotten to take it off too.  My old school wrist watch is staple for me...to the point I am lost all day if I forget to put it on.  

I guess I'm out of the techincal loop...I didn't realize there was an external recording feature to those things.  
Most communicate via bluetooth or wifi with your phone.

that's really f'd up. They make a huge deal with cell phones (stating you cant have them) they owe it to the people who are paying to take the exam to point out things that will get them kicked out in my opinion. People have too many things to think about, you would think an agency who is essentially paid by (us) and the state (taxpayers) would strive to make things as simple as possible..

Were the proctors in Maryland the kind like we had back in GA, where they basically wheel them from the retirement home the morning of the exam?
They certainly were old. haha. There was one that I distinctly remember thinking - what if he had a heart attack during the exam!!?? - would all of our results been invalidated. 

I'd say you were lucky that other places made an announcement beforehand. I certainly would have thrown mine away if I had to. But I've come to terms with it... I'm partly to blame as well. 

Take two months off - focus on October - everything will be all right. 

Back