the category of P.E. in Texas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunhui Jiang

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a EI, and I see that the P.E. seal in Texas just shows " licensed professional engineer", without the category (such as mechanical, civil, petroleum...)

So does it mean that the P.E. in Texas has no category? If I pass the PE exam in any category, and become a P.E., does it mean that all the field in engineer could qualify me as a P.E. in Texas?

Thanks

In Texas, you can take the exam for any discipline.  You are only authorized by your license to do engineering work for things in which you are competent...A petroleum engineer probably could not design a bridge, but maybe, if that is the area where they have qualified experience and have been trained.  There are plenty examples in Texas where engineers have been fined or had their licenses revoked for practicing outside of their competency area.

Also, just FYI, when you look up a license on the Texas PE roster, it lists the type of engineering for your license, although it's not on your stamp.

My final caveat, is always check with the board if you have questions like this...this is why we are paying them...

In Texas, you can take the exam for any discipline.  You are only authorized by your license to do engineering work for things in which you are competent...A petroleum engineer probably could not design a bridge, but maybe, if that is the area where they have qualified experience and have been trained.  There are plenty examples in Texas where engineers have been fined or had their licenses revoked for practicing outside of their competency area.

Also, just FYI, when you look up a license on the Texas PE roster, it lists the type of engineering for your license, although it's not on your stamp.

My final caveat, is always check with the board if you have questions like this...this is why we are paying them...
Thanks for your suggestions, and I will talk to the Texas board.

Back