April vs. October

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audi Driver P.E.

Reaction score
Maybe my observational skills are lacking (very possible) but it seems like the board here is less busy surrounding the April exam than it was just before the October exam.  Are there generally more October test takers?  Anyone else noticing this?

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd find that preparing for this text in the summer months; with longer daylight hours, nice weather, vacations, and just the increase in 'summer related' activities like yardwork, etc. wouldn't be as productive. 

I already made the decision that if I were not to be successful next week, I will be waiting until next April's exam to retake.

Kevin

I always assumed there were more test takers in October because of how graduation + experience falls. People trying to get their applications in by the June deadline when they graduated in May. 

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd find that preparing for this text in the summer months; with longer daylight hours, nice weather, vacations, and just the increase in 'summer related' activities like yardwork, etc. wouldn't be as productive. 

I already made the decision that if I were not to be successful next week, I will be waiting until next April's exam to retake.

Kevin
My friend has a theory that the cut score is higher in April for this very reason.  For the Apr exam, you have the people that were homebound for the winter and had little else to do but study.  For the Oct exam, everyone was out enjoying the summer weather and not studying as hard. 

He took the exam in April (2014?) and he failed with a score of 56 (Civil Transpo)!  He passed in October.  lol

Kevin
That's the reason I took it in April. 

Also, some people take the exam in October because they miss the April application deadline.

My testing location in ten days is at a senior citizens center in a suburb of Cincinnati, which I would imagine has a small occupancy rate if we each have our own table (first time PE examinee myself). For those who have already sat for the exam, approximately how many other PE examinees where taking it the same day (April and/or October) and location as you were? Five years ago when I sat for the FE there were at least 75 people in a large convention center. 

My friend has a theory that the cut score is higher in April for this very reason. 
According to the article in PE magazine about the exams, that's a myth.

MYTH Exams administered in the fall are more difficult than those in the spring (or vice-versa).

TRUTH The scoring process negates any differences in difficulty. Examinees are graded against a standard of minimum competence. If the exam is more difficult, the required passing score is lowered. Conversely, if the exam is less difficult, the required passing score is raised. An examinee is neither penalized nor rewarded for the difficulty of the exam.

- See more at: http://www.nspe.org/resources/pe-magazine/march-2016/the-ultimate-test#sthash.yqS2N3I1.dpuf

My testing location in ten days is at a senior citizens center in a suburb of Cincinnati, which I would imagine has a small occupancy rate if we each have our own table (first time PE examinee myself). For those who have already sat for the exam, approximately how many other PE examinees where taking it the same day (April and/or October) and location as you were? Five years ago when I sat for the FE there were at least 75 people in a large convention center. 
There were about a hundred at my center (I don't remember actually.  I counted at the time but have forgotten.  I was surprised at how many), but keep in mind they are from all disciplines.  At my testing center I shared a table with a civil engineering test taker.

I note that their "myth" about the test being harder at one time or another isn't exactly debunked by their answer.  Even if the cut score makes the passing "easier" the test may indeed be a harder exam.
Yeah, good point. So, I guess if the exam is harder, you just need less points to pass? Or if it's easier, then you need more points to pass. That seems fair.

I took it back in the "old days" when you had to get 60% to pass regardless, and if you had a harder exam, you were SOL.....

That's the reason I took it in April. 
The reason I took it in October was because I hadn't made up my mind until it was really too late to start studying for an April exam.  I really didn't think it through, because it seriously cut into a lot of activities I wanted to do, especially hunting.  But I didn't want to wait until the following April either.

I took it in October because I failed the April exam and I wanted to re-test during the same calendar year before they redistributed the number and types of problems, banking that there would be at least a little overlap between my April exam and the one I saw in October (which turned out to be a valid assumption).

According to the article in PE magazine about the exams, that's a myth.

- See more at: http://www.nspe.org/resources/pe-magazine/march-2016/the-ultimate-test#sthash.yqS2N3I1.dpuf
Understood but I still feel the theory holds true.  Your linked article also says that the cut score is determined based in exam difficulty.  I suspect that when fewer people (those who didn't study as much as they should have during the late spring/summer/early fall) get certain problems correct, those problems are more likely to be deemed 'difficult', and thus a possible lower cut score.  Hey, when else have we ever seen such a high fail score of 56/80 than April 2014?  ;)  

lol at 75.  There were hundreds and hundreds of examinees at my FE and my PE in southern CA. 

I took it in October because I failed the April exam and I wanted to re-test during the same calendar year before they redistributed the number and types of problems, banking that there would be at least a little overlap between my April exam and the one I saw in October (which turned out to be a valid assumption).
Mmm... tkPE, I have a hard time believing that there would be repeat questions on the exams of adjacent administrations.  You sure?  Whenever I hear of two adjacent exams being compared, I always hear how very different they are. 

Mmm... tkPE, I have a hard time believing that there would be repeat questions on the exams of adjacent administrations.  You sure?  Whenever I hear of two adjacent exams being compared, I always hear how very different they are. 
100% sure. There were definitely two morning questions that were identical to my April exam.

I had probably around 200 total examinees in Cleveland oct 14

Back