Load Calcs, software, etc

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willsee

Reaction score
I'm looking into doing load calcs and energy simulations where would be the best place to start?  I'm an electrical engineer so this isn't my bag completely but I want to learn since I deal with HVAC guys.

I know Trane offers software for a price and EQuest is free then online their appears to be a variety of options.  Which is the most user friendly and is there any way an electrical person can learn this on his own?

Edit: I wouldn't object to paying for online training seminar if it provided the information either.  Or I wonder if a local firm would charge me per hour to teach me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking into doing load calcs and energy simulations where would be the best place to start?  I'm an electrical engineer so this isn't my bag completely but I want to learn since I deal with HVAC guys.

I know Trane offers software for a price and EQuest is free then online their appears to be a variety of options.  Which is the most user friendly and is there any way an electrical person can learn this on his own?

Edit: I wouldn't object to paying for online training seminar if it provided the information either.  Or I wonder if a local firm would charge me per hour to teach me?
Definately Trane Trace 700.  I did energy simulations for 10 yrs. 

equest is more difficult but better

if you have questions I might be able to help. 

So i've been playing around with Equest and I've built a model for a completed building.  So this building was designed and built not using a model or anything, is there anyway to compare what was designed and installed vs ASHRAE 90.1-2001?  Is there a button for that or do I make changes to the systems to equal 90.1 then run a comparison simulation?

I used to run two separate models.  That was 10 years ago.  There could be a shortcut like that now.  Kind of doubt it though.  However, I think there is a scenario function that may save you time by allowing you to change some items and stay in the same file.  

Yeah they have simulations to keep the same building and allows you to change different variables to compare.  I was hoping for the "easy" button.

Mechanical load calculations?  Oh, you're talking HVAC stuff.  Never mind me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back