PE Experience Wording/Description

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PB&Jelly

Reaction score
I read through responses on this board that internship experience has been accepted and denied in cases toward PE exam applications by NYS.  What does the state board look for in the descriptions of such internship experience that they would deem it acceptable or not?  Is it something specific that causes them to accept or deny?  Does signature endorsements need to be by experienced licensed PEs?  Any insight would be very helpful.

Sorry not from NY, but make sure you read your state board reqs carefully and if it is not clear if internship experience would (or would not) count or how many references/PEs you need to signoff, give them a call or email for clarification.

WWW.op.nyses.gov/Prof/pels/performs.htm

I could give you PA reqs, but it won't help you since each state has different reqs.

As far as what to put on the app when describing work experience, put yourself in the review boards shoes....what you write needs to provide enough details for them to confirm you have been working as an engineer with increasing levels of responsibility.

It is usually a good idea to be very descriptive in describing what you actually did in your job. Don't use vague terms like: worked, reviewed, assisted on such and such project. Rather be specific with what YOU did. Calculated, designed, etc. Adding the how you did it helps too citing methods, specifications, regulations.

I read through responses on this board that internship experience has been accepted and denied in cases toward PE exam applications by NYS.  What does the state board look for in the descriptions of such internship experience that they would deem it acceptable or not?  Is it something specific that causes them to accept or deny?  Does signature endorsements need to be by experienced licensed PEs?  Any insight would be very helpful.
Sorry if I'm late in responding to your inquiry, but just in case they caome back to you with questions about your experience, below is an example of just one entry I made on my application for 'pe-4':

I know in my case the experienced I outline referred to Computer Engineering, however I think the format of how I wording my  experience might be helpful.

pe4_example.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be shocked if they had a question about my experience since I already submitted it.  I researched how others worded everything and  I was very deliberate, correlative and detailed in my descriptions which I also organized into projects like you. 

I would be shocked if they had a question about my experience since I already submitted it.  I researched how others worded everything and  I was very deliberate, correlative and detailed in my descriptions which I also organized into projects like you. 
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure yours will be fine if you spent that much time researching and preparing.  It's just that nearly everyone I work with had theirs kicked back for the way they worded the project descriptions, which is why I did exactly as you have indicated.  It seems that the use of 'Engineered' and 'Engineering' in the majority of the descriptions was very important.  In every case, my co-workers recanted to me, all it took was rewording a little to correct the push-back.

Back