Insurance for Independant Consultants

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfHead

Owner/CEO/Consultant
Reaction score
I have setup my own consulting firm and am currently a single member LLC. I am using Hartford for General Insurance. I have also been looking around for 'worker's compensation', long term disability and 'Errors and Omissions' coverage.

I am not sure how to obtain long term disability coverage when my first year of operations as a consultant has not produced an income anywhere near my regular W2 wages from my past life. I have medical and auto insurance. However, if I am incapacitated and cannot work; how do I put food on the table? I will run out of savings at some point.

I have been told that Hartford is the best choice for Errors and Omissions and general coverage for a small firm like mine. However; they said they might not cover me for certain work e.g; I do RF engineering work for trackside coverage.  I am still in talks with them. My clients tend to be big names in the railroad industry. Is it normal to pass on the buck to them? i.e., put in wording in the contract that they are responsible for such coverage since it is difficult for small operations to get the appropriate coverage?

I am sure there are other PEs who have branched out as independant consultants and have already been through this process - Any suggestions? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Consult an attorney regarding the "wording" in your contract. I doubt if it would protect you from getting sued.

Back