Repeat Mechanical PE Exam Advice ...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRF_PDX

Reaction score
I first took the PE Mechanical HVAC exam this past October and failed (39/80), which was a huge blow to me. I spent about 6 months prior studying, took the School of PE prep course, and went in feeling extremely prepared only to leave the exam site miserable. The diagnostic report they provided seemed like a very useless piece of information to me since it doesn't allow me to evaluate what problems I got wrong or why. I ultimately re-registered for this coming April exam, and also re-registered for the School of PE course (which unfortunately was pointless since its all the exact same material as the session before). Also purchased the 6-minute solutions book and have gone through all 85 problems twice, and purchased a practice exam from NCEES. I did the first half of the practice exam yesterday(22/40), and then spent an hour today on the second half and stopped too demoralized to go on.

I'm looking for any guidance anyone may have on what to do from here .. I've spent the past year studying for this thing, gone through School of PE, practice problems, and still don't know what to do in order to feel prepared. It seems like no matter how many practice problems I go through, each new one is asking for something different in a way I've never seen before and can't figure out where to begin. 

Hey,

You should post this on Mechanical PE exam prep forum. You'll more likely to get response there and also it would be a guideline/resource for future mechanical PE exam test takers. By the way, I am taking mechanical PE exam this April 2016.

-Thank You

So I've posted this in other places, but all too often it seems like folks power through problems trying to get through all the practice. You should use the practice questions as a guide to what you need to study. It is not enough to do a problem and look at the solution and move on. You need to do a question, spend as much time you need to look it up and read information until you get to a point you understand the topic enough that you can be confident in your answer the question. Looking up the solution to question should only be done when you are fairly confident you have the right answer. I would also recommend trying to change the question. In electrical there are a number of times when you can find magnitude and phase for line and phase currents. the question may only ask for magnitude of phase currents, but it is worth your time to find the line and phase currents for all the line and phase currents. Then no matter what component they ask you for on the exam you will be prepared. Using this method you won't be able to do the practice exam in a day, you might get 4-5 questions at a time. Lots of unique study sessions will help as well. Try not to spend more than 3-4 hours at a time without taking a substantial break, this will help you remember your studying more. 

KRF,

I noticed you are having the EXACT same problem as me, almost down to a tee.  I took the practice exam this past weekend and did terrible.  I decided to make the following thread on here:

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?/topic/26413-really-really-having-tough-time-getting-over-50-correct-on-this-test/

Cupojoe also commented on my post, that's what brought me to yours.  You aren't alone!  I don't know what the problem is, maybe we're getting psyched out?  I'm going to review my practice exam and see what I can do to change my test taking habits in the next month.  Best of luck to you!

Mike

If problems that cover the same material merely asked in a new way trip you up, then you aren't understanding the principles of the subject matter.  You need to understand this or you won't pass, plain and simple.  As one example, if you know all the equations for solving a throttling problem, but don't know when they apply and why you're going to miss the question.  It's not enough to know that h1=h2, you have to know why and when.

@Audi driver, P.E.  I just noticed that I missed this post you made ... sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I went into hiding for the weeks from that point on up until the exam, and in the end it paid off because I feel really strong about how the exam went on Friday. Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to provide some advice!

Back