NCEES Account record- verification of employment

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gman0429

Reaction score
I am currently applying for an account record with NCEES and have a question about my verification of employment form. 

My current supervisor has decided that they do not want to complete my verification of employment form for me. I must now go to my company's HR department in order for them to verify that I am currently employed with my company. My company's HR department will verify my employment, but will not provide any information regarding the nature of my employment. So they will not complete questions such as "Do you recommend this applicant be licensed?"  or "How would you rate this employee's work?"   I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience and how will this effects the approval of my account record application by NCEES? Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience where I can list it as non-engineering related work. 

I will be calling NCEES to see what they say, but just wanted to hear if anyone else has been in a similar situation. 

Thanks, 

GM 

As far as I know your supervisor needs to verify your work experience and thats what the board is looking for, try to convince your manager/supervisor to confirm your experience.

It sounds like you are applying for an NCEES record, so I'm assuming you are licensed in at least one other state. So two things....didn't your supervisor need to verify your experience prior to your original licensure? What changed?

The other thing I was going to add: you might decide the record isn't worth it right now. They are getting rid of the records system as of June 1. http://ncees.org/supplemental-pages/new-and-improved-records-program/?utm_source=website-interstitial&utm_medium=interstitial&utm_campaign=new-records-applicants

Attention New Records Applicants

New and Improved Records Program Coming June 20, 2016

On June 20, 2016, NCEES will launch a new and improved Records Program. The new system will significantly reduce the amount of time it takes to complete the application process. It currently takes a minimum of 10-12 weeks to complete the current application process. The average completion time is 3-6 months.

New applicants

If you begin the application process today and fail to complete it before May 1, 2016, your information will be invalidated, your application fee will be forfeited, and you will be required to start over in the new system.

You can expect to complete the application process in the new system within approximately 30 days. Unless you must apply for comity licensure before May 1, 2016, we highly recommend you delay starting the application and take advantage of the new system’s improvements.

Why would your supervisor NOT verify your employment?

That just seems odd to me.

First off thank you for the responses.  

Yes, I am currently registered in another state. Its a bit of a long story, but yes, my supervisory verified my employment during my original licensure and I am aware that there is a new account record system being rolled out by NCEES.  My account record application is currently pending, so if I do not complete my application before May 1st, my information is invalidated and I have to start over from scratch with the new system. I was hoping to complete my application before that date so that I don't have to contact my references, college, past employers etc. all over again.   My supervisor (for reasons that are too complicated to get into) has decided they do not want to verify my employment until this summer (after the May 1st deadline).  What will most likely happen is I won't be able to complete my application before May 1st and will have to use the new system.  Hopefully the new system is easier to work with. 

wow that sucks..

I've never had anyone refuse, but for my first 10 months out of school I worked for a small engineering firm and years later I could not track down my supervisor (he was originally from Kentucky, and then moved around and by the time I applied for my PE he had left the profession. So they had to go the HR route, but it did work out that the 10 months was counted towards my experience.

wow that sucks..

I've never had anyone refuse, but for my first 10 months out of school I worked for a small engineering firm and years later I could not track down my supervisor (he was originally from Kentucky, and then moved around and by the time I applied for my PE he had left the profession. So they had to go the HR route, but it did work out that the 10 months was counted towards my experience.
I feel like this type of story is all too common. But never heard of someone deciding not to verify experience. Perhaps the boss has no plans of having this the OP get licensed in multiple states and doesn't want to pay the ongoing records fee, afterall if they do want the OP to get registered in another state, this does't become an option.

I'm guessing there is information important to the story we aren't hearing about.

Perhaps the boss has no plans of having this the OP get licensed in multiple states and doesn't want to pay the ongoing records fee, 

I'm guessing there is information important to the story we aren't hearing about.
Even so, other than some company time it doesn't cost anything to verify experience.  My previous employer had no need for me to obtain my PE nor my NCEES record but still provided employment verification.  Needless to say I was responsible for my own annual fees and such.

There simply has to me more to the story.

1 hour ago, cupojoe PE PMP said:

Perhaps the boss has no plans of having this the OP get licensed in multiple states and doesn't want to pay the ongoing records fee, 

Even so, other than some company time it doesn't cost anything to verify experience.  My previous employer had no need for me to obtain my PE nor my NCEES record but still provided employment verification.  Needless to say I was responsible for my own annual fees and such.

There simply has to me more to the story.
Perhaps a weekend retreat photo of the boss with a subordinate?

When I changed state, me too had difficulty getting my work experience signed...one of my previous Boss simply did not respond back, I had to contact his manager who was very good, he did it for me, needless to say it was a bad experience....

I've never had anyone refuse, but for my first 10 months out of school I worked for a small engineering firm and years later I could not track down my supervisor (he was originally from Kentucky, and then moved around and by the time I applied for my PE he had left the profession. So they had to go the HR route, but it did work out that the 10 months was counted towards my experience.
Navigating work experience verification can indeed be challenging, especially when supervisors are no longer accessible. It's fortunate HR was able to facilitate and validate your crucial work tenure.

When I changed state, me too had difficulty getting my work experience signed...one of my previous Boss simply did not respond back, I had to contact his manager who was very good, he did it for me, needless to say it was a bad experience
Sorry to hear about the hassle with your work experience sign-off. It's frustrating when a previous boss doesn't cooperate, but I'm glad you found support from their manager in the end.Nrega Job Card List

Back