TEXAS-Decoupling of PE Exam and ExperienceRequirements

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That program seems to make a lot of sense, actually.  I mean, if you feel you can pass the exam without the experience, why not?  On the other hand, I would caution that experience is indeed going to help you pass. I note they also now only allow 3 attempts to pass.  They sorta changed the rules about missing the exam for being sick or in an accident.

I predict the exam questions evolving into a way more experienced required to answer type thing if states continue to go this route.

I received notice from TBPE yesterday (I guess all EITs did??)

I feel this may give recent graduates a bit of an advantage because they are closer to being in "school mode" and will likely have less personal commitments and likely can dedicate more time to study for the PE test.

However, I'm not sure how many employers will be willing to pay for test fees, materials, and classes for their employee when he/she still would still need 3-4 more years of experience before applying for the PE.  Who knows if the employee would still be at the company then?

On a personal note, the new change will allow me to sit for the test 6 months earlier and potentially allow me to become a PE ~5 month earlier than under the old rules.  I will be taking advantage of the rule change!

Cool.. doesn't help me any; however, it's a good change.

I don't see the exam changing as other states already allow their EITs to take the exam early and if they pass wait for the experience before their license is issued.

This is a boon to foreign graduate engineers whose engineering degrees are not ABET accredited.
Many of us who immigrated here in the US with degrees and work experience in engineering still have to wait 8 years to sit for the PE.

Be wary of reciprocity rules. Some states will deny your application due to not meeting their requirements when you passed the exam. Just something to keep in mind.

Be wary of reciprocity rules. Some states will deny your application due to not meeting their requirements when you passed the exam. Just something to keep in mind.
This always comes up, besides Ohio, any other states which actually do this? and I mean actually, not just might or someone's buddy told someone they might...

On 2/18/2016 at 5:13 PM, Ken PE 3.0 said:

This always comes up, besides Ohio, any other states which actually do this? and I mean actually, not just might or someone's buddy told someone they might...
Well, considering it is in their bylaws, I would say it is a fact.

It is just something to be aware of. 2 guys sitting by me for the test were not thrilled about having to retake the test because of this very reason.

yup some states will deny you..then again what is the rush getting a PE..gain some Exp first..maybe you want to change career LOL

Well, considering it is in their bylaws, I would say it is a fact.

It is just something to be aware of. 2 guys sitting by me for the test were not thrilled about having to retake the test because of this very reason.
agreed Ohio does but I've yet to hear anything firm about any other state forcing retakes.

Back