Specific Weight

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kannersja

Reaction score
I'm noticing in the WRE depth manual, the specific weight of water is given as 999 or 1000 kg/m^3 in several cases with regards to water pressure (pgs. 2-1 and 5-4). This is not correct, is it? That would be the density, right? So in order to determine the (gage) water pressure at the base of a tank, for example, you would multiply the density (1000 kg/m^3) by gravity and the height of water, correct? (I understand that specific weight and density in English units are both ~62.4, so this only applies to SI unit questions). The example problems I'm finding use English units, so I can't really confirm. I just want to be certain I'm not missing something here because multiplying by 1000 vs. 9810 generates very different answers. Any idea why the manual would be giving density instead of Specific weight, or is it just an error?

When working your problems, check your units. 9810 N/m^3 = 1000 kg/m^3 * 9.81 m/s^2 (this is at 0C)

Edit:

Are you working a problem from the WRE depth manual?

If it's not a units issue, give us the specific problem you're having trouble with so we can help you better.

Last edited by a moderator:
First definitions 

Non specific wait occurs after you take the exam.

specific weight = force / volume

density = mass / volume

pressure at depth = specific weight x delta h 

note specific weight (IP units) = density x g / gc

or density x g (SI units)

get a good understanding of gc before proceeding. 

Thank you for the responses. I understand what you're saying,  but I don't think my question has been answered. So, it is incorrect when the manual states that the specific weight of water is 1000 kg/m^3, correct? It should actually be 9810 N/m^3, correct? (at 0 degrees C)

Yeah, it seems that they are using to terms interchangeably in the SI system. Which they shouldn't be. If you have the time, you should check PPI's errata and seem if it's listed there. If not, you can submit it as a error. http://emars.ppi2pass.com/errata/

Back