Time until Structural License Issued Illinois

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassplayer45

Reaction score
How long did fellow Illinois applications take before you got your license issued? I submitted all my information before Christmas. Just got off the phone with them and they told me it takes a month to review the application then the board has to vote / approve prospective structural licensure applications. I was told the earliest I may hear something is middle of February. Is this normal for Illinois? When I applied for my PE I got it within about 2 weeks at the most

Yep, that's about right.

Welcome to the Land of Lincoln.

Well, I will just tell myself it is better this way because it is a more restrictive discipline and should take more time to review........

Just out of curiosity, did you have any issues with the education requirement?  Apparently you need 18 hours of structural design and analysis (and several things don't count) according to them or potentially 8 years of structural experience.  I think I have 15 hours of design and analysis courses, but I definitely have the 8 years experience.

Just curious if you had one or the other or both, or if you didn't did they raise a fuss? 

They gave me a fuss about 1 thing

1.) I put "present" to the date I currently worked at my company. They said it actually needed to be the date my boss signed his reference letter. Thankfully my boss also signed "present" so they technically matched.

I had over 18 hours. On my NCEES records account, I was like you, but I had some extra hours from grad school that got me over the 18 technically required. I just listed all the design and analysis courses I took in college and grad school and they seemed fine with that. I also only had around 7.5 years of experience when I applied technically, so I am guessing they take both into account

One little item of note on this, I actually decided to get the "upgrade" to Model Law Structural Engineer for my NCEES record before I went to get my IL SE license.

The coursework requirements are the same and I just had to argue some of my classes counting for design with NCEES. (I only have a BS in Civil Engineering). 

My reciprocity application for the IL SE took a while but I got no push back on it at all.

I got the modal law designation as well. NCEES spins it as helping get SE licenses more quickly, so maybe that helped as well

I think some of it also depends on who reviews your application.  I was approved in Illinois but denied Model Law Structural status when I applied.

This is what it says for requirements. I am guessing you have the pass the SE to get it no matter what your experience is

• Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an EAC/ABET-accredited program
  • Pass a minimum of 18 semester hours of structural analysis and design courses, of which at least 9 are structural design courses.
  • Pass the FE exam and one of the following:

16 hours of NCEES structural exams, 8 hours of which are the Structural II exam taken prior to January 1, 2011
  • 16-hour state-written structural exams taken prior to 2004
  • NCEES Structural II exam plus 8-hour state-written structural exams taken prior to January 1, 2011
  • NCEES 16-hour Structural Engineering exam taken after January 1, 2011

[*]Four years of acceptable structural engineering work experience

[*]Clean disciplinary record

Did you receive a call/email or letter of approval? I am also waiting (submitted in January) and am curious. Thanks.

I got a personal email from a representative at NCEES stating I was approved for Modal Law. I submitted sometime in mid December and heard back on the 13th of January

Back