Licensing in another state after passing National Civil in California

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawnrevenge

Reaction score
I passed the Civil Transportation exam last October and the Survey last April.  I'm now preparing for a 3rd attempt at the seismic exam.  Before we got married, our goal has been to move out of state many reasons,  since we still live in California and there is family here there is always a possibility of returning to California and so I'm going to get my California PE no matter what.

Has anyone passed the national exam and then applied for a PE in Texas (or any other state) without having a PE in their home state?  As I look at jobs outside California I want to know what to expect as far as time/headache/etc. to apply vs. waiting for the CA PE and going for committee license.

People apply for reciprocity all the time. Its just a paperwork thing, and its even easier if you have an NCEES record

Just an FYI, in CA you only need 2 years of experience to get a PE. In basically every other state, you will need 4.

Texas is 8 because of my degree (Construction engineering technology).  I took the exam with 6 years experience instead of the degree substituting in CA.  I the experience, just wondering if anyone has done this.  Since in CA it's a 3 part test.  I'll be starting the application process this weekend.

Texas is 8 because of my degree (Construction engineering technology).  I took the exam with 6 years experience instead of the degree substituting in CA.  I the experience, just wondering if anyone has done this.  Since in CA it's a 3 part test.  I'll be starting the application process this weekend.
If you have "technology" in the title of your degree, you are always going to be fighting a battle, no matter what state you go to.

NCEES tests in construction, yet CM and Technology degrees are still looked at like they are a degree in Marketing.

It does get easier as you gain more experience, however.

@lawnrevenge I am in a similar boat you are in, any luck getting licensed out of state with you exam results from California?
I have not yet put in the paper work.  I contacted the Texas Board and they basically told me to apply and see how it goes.  Nothing definitive (didn't expect it to be, unless it was a negative)  I applied for a few jobs in Washington and noted that I need only apply to be licensed in that state.  So far I have not heard anything from Washington State.  We've got a short list of preferred states and I am being picky about jobs I apply to in those states.  When I apply to Texas I'll post my experience.

Why not just apply to whatever state after you get a job? It's easy enough to pick up more states if you meet that state's requirements. Having an engineering technology degree may hurt you more than anything else. Maybe small companies make a bigger deal of it? Big firms won't care which state you have it in, as long as you are eligible to apply for more in the future.

Back