NCEES record/license based on comity

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfHead

Owner/CEO/Consultant
Reaction score
I've started working on my NCEES record and got stuck at the 'References' section. The record requires 5 PEs as references. I chatted with an NCEES rep and looks like there will be no exception provided. Even if you get by this hurdle; you have to add a new reference every year - again a PE. I am a Telecommunications Engineer and PEs are simply unheard of in my field. Anyone facing a similar problem? Maybe I need to network on these boards and work with some of the PEs here in order to finish my record in the future! Do you guys know if individual states have less of a 'PE based' character reference requirements?

I've used an original reference as a renewal reference without an issue.

any friends/clients who are PEs that you can use?

I've started working on my NCEES record and got stuck at the 'References' section. The record requires 5 PEs as references. I chatted with an NCEES rep and looks like there will be no exception provided. Even if you get by this hurdle; you have to add a new reference every year - again a PE. I am a Telecommunications Engineer and PEs are simply unheard of in my field. Anyone facing a similar problem? Maybe I need to network on these boards and work with some of the PEs here in order to finish my record in the future! Do you guys know if individual states have less of a 'PE based' character reference requirements?
The (5) initial references can be tough to acquire.  Any chance at getting any references from any clients/customers that you worked directly with on certain projects?  Otherwise, becoming a member of NSPE would certainly be another viable way to network and get some potential references.  What about any previous employers?

As for the annual renewal, a PE reference is required, but it does not have to be new each time (record holder since 2011). 

The (5) initial references can be tough to acquire.  Any chance at getting any references from any clients/customers that you worked directly with on certain projects?  Otherwise, becoming a member of NSPE would certainly be another viable way to network and get some potential references.  What about any previous employers?

As for the annual renewal, a PE reference is required, but it does not have to be new each time (record holder since 2011). 
That's good to know that the annual renewal is not a new one. None of my current or previous employers are PEs - I have worked in the satellite/Voice over IP/Telephony switching fields. All my PE references that I got so far (including approval for the PE exam) have been clients. Will look into NSPE. 

I've used up clients. Incidentally, I have been working in the Rail industry for the past few years and know quite a few PEs there - but they are all from UK!

As far as friends are concerned ------------- Aren't you my friend? :)

Seriously speaking; I have searched high and low. Found a few who were PEs; but they never kept it active. That includes the guy who runs an auto repair shop where I take my car for maintenance! Still searching.........

Well first off, what (3) PE refs did you use on your exam application?  Are you able to have them as refs for your NCEES record application as well?  That would be (3) right there with only (2) more to find.

Friends, sure.  Able to attest to your work as an engineer in a professional capacity, negative. :thumbs:

As a side note to the NSPE recommendation, there should be a local chapter for your state where you might be able to start attending meetings/conferences and such.  What about old co-workers (of the engineering type) that you might have lost touch with but perhaps are now PE's as well?

Back