2 Small US Navy Boats With 10 Sailors Aboard Held By Iran, US Official Says

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Story reads like their boat broke and they drifted into irans waters, i imagine some captain of a naval ship is about to no longer be a captain anymore, hope they get back safe, but you never know when dealing with iran..

Not sure why they would let them get picked up by some iranian navy, we should have some "heavies" in that area...?

news reports indicate one boat had mechanical problems and drifted in Iranian waters.  situation seems stabkle and all is OK.  We'll see once everyone is back where they belong.

A military outfit was conducting military actions near a known hostile country, and we're supposed to be surprised that said hostile country actually took some sort of anti-American military action?

If they had engine issues, they should have dropped anchor out of Iran's waters. They carry anchors, right?

Yeah but in the middle of the ocean a hundred foot rope ain't going to cut it

85a64372e4f289679f6cdec8f9b5cd8c.jpg

Sailor picked the wrong day to wear nonregulation socks!

That's the new Bad Luck Brian - wears white socks with uniform for the first time, gets captured and taken prisoner by Iran.

I don't know how to feel about this.  The video the media is all up in the air about shows them with their hands over their heads preparing to be boarded and then an awkward video of a sailor apologizing.  Well, wouldn't we have boarded them the same way if an Iranian boat "wandered" into our waters?  Yes the "I'm sorry" video is a bit weird, but they were in their waters and we aren't allies.  Am I looking at this wrong?

I don't know how to feel about this.  The video the media is all up in the air about shows them with their hands over their heads preparing to be boarded and then an awkward video of a sailor apologizing.  Well, wouldn't we have boarded them the same way if an Iranian boat "wandered" into our waters?  Yes the "I'm sorry" video is a bit weird, but they were in their waters and we aren't allies.  Am I looking at this wrong?
Yes.  The media is telling you to be outraged.  Why aren't you outraged yet?

I don't let the news/social media decide when I'm outraged.  I can do that just fine on my own.

I dont know if we would have held them for 18 hours, but the US doesn't need these trivial victories like these guys do.

Were pretty far away from other navy's so other than a Canadian ship theres not too much chance of this happening on our side of the world.

This was a mistake made by a sole naval officer who has more than likely already been demoted or forced to retire. What I've read is that these small boats were way away from any protective cover from the main fleet, maybe this is SOP but it seems odd to me(im not a navy person). To have these smaller boats operate so far from some larger ship to protect them?

I think something similar happened about 10 years ago and some air-force crew crashed and china picked them up? At first china said they were going to put them on trial but later let them go..It was either toward the end of clintons term or right at the beginning of W's

that sailor either forgot what he learned in SERE 100 or never attended.

"In a formal acknowledgment that the Persian Gulf episode was the result of an error by the United States Navy, Mr. Carter said the crews of two American patrol craft were not on a clandestine mission and “obviously had misnavigated” when they came within a few miles of Farsi Island, where Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Corps has a naval base.

The 10 sailors on the boats did not report the navigational error to their superiors before they were taken by the Iranians, Mr. Carter said. “It may have been they were trying to sort it out at the time when they encountered the Iranian boats,” Mr. Carter said"

These aren't blue water Navy boats, but rather Navy Expeditionary Combat Command "Riverine Command Boats".  They are "commanded" by a Lieutenant.

^- basically "someone fucked up"  & probably a few levels up the LT's chain of command will be "out the door"

^- basically "someone fucked up"  & probably a few levels up the LT's chain of command will be "out the door"
I don't think so.  These are small boat crews, and it sounds like they were being tracked by higher, even if they weren't communicating.

Back