POWERBALL

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVINNY

2-time 10K winner
Reaction score
Did you get your tickets yet?

and if you hit for the $450 Million, will you quit work that instance?

myself, I wouldn't even bother wasting the time to call my employer. :)

i was going to stop and buy one on the way home.    

No I wouldn't quit...health insurance for the whole fam is through my work, but I would plan the biggest most expensive bad ass vacation that very same day.  

I've always thought it would be fun if you won that kind of money to actually go back to work but then just be a total dickhead especially clients and see how long it takes to Get canned

lump sum or installments????   installments ultimately gets you more of the $$ but for me being at the mercy of the State of IL to send you that money over the years is a risky venture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely lump sum.  I would continue to work...might give considerably less of a **** about work though.

Lump sum. I don't trust the government.
^^^^. This.

You people that think you'll still work are not thinking clearly.

With $450 million prize, lump sum cash option is $225 Million.  After taxes, you'll bring home about $120 million.

If you invest $120 Million and achieve a modest 5% return, that gives you $6 million per year in interest alone.  That is $500,000 per month without touching your money.

No way in hell would anyone work after having that come in.  Even if I tried, the first time I had a food craving for something, I'd throw my hands up and say F&*# this, I'm outta here, and go get a snack.

do your states allow for anonymous winners to keep the prying eyes and such away?  winning something that big I would rather not have my name splashed all over the papers/news.  But in IL even if you decided not attend all the press functions they do not allow for anonymity and will puclish your name...so I have read somewhere 

WV does not allow you to stay anonymous either, however I have a friend who is an attorney (I know) and he said that you can create an LLC or other entity to claim the prize under.

Anyone with a computer could search the secretary of states office to see who the officers of that company are, but it at least adds a layer of coverage.

I believe that part of the lottery agreement is that you agree to let them use your name and image for publicity purposes.  It goes with the territory.

Realistically, as far as work is concerned, I'd probably help with transitioning out rather than just be a dick and leave co-workers in a lurch, but I wouldn't just stay on.

I think I'd find something to "work" at but it would be at my discretion and on my terms.  With a net of 100 miliion I wouldn't be that concerned about stayin at work for the health care benefits.

^^^^That....and an Alaskan cruise ship vacation with some of my EB friends here, all expenses on me.

I do have good intentions. That is why I will never win it.

I'd be willing to pay the estate tax so I could take the money with me to NZ.

The jackpot is now expected to be the largest in US history with no winner last night which is still more money than I could ever spend. 

Back