PMP will be next

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audi Driver P.E.

Reaction score
I'm a "keep learning" kinda guy.  Having just passed the PE, I already know that the PMP will be next up for me to tackle, though I don't know when just yet.  Anyone with both the PE and PMP want to comment as to how long it was for you between these two certs. and why?

If you got a PE, a PMP will be a cakewalk.  It took me about 2 months to get mine, but most of that was just waiting on administration crap.

Basically, I started the process at the beginning of August 2014 and had the certification on October 2nd.  I already had the PM experience before that.

The timeline was basically

• fill out company paperwork to get signed up for a 4-day training class offered by PMI (company paid for everything, but I had to do the paperwork first)
  • had to wait a couple of weeks to get all the company reimbursement paperwork approved
  • then wait for the next available class which was early Sept
  • submitted my application a week later,  
  • application was approved within a week
  • took a couple of weeks to study and review the class material 
  • then took the exam on October 2nd.
  • Submit final reimbursement paperwork to the company (they only paid the test fees after passing)
The most challenging thing is to get all of your experience and corresponding "sign offs" for the application, but how to fill out the application itself was covered in the class (you need to take the class before you can apply for the Cert).

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read through the PMI-PMP website, I wish I would have thought of this scam. $555 fee, + continuing education = $$$$$$

But I know (for whatever reason) people are requiring it, it reminds me of something we used to say in the Army, Leadership isn't learned in a Book or a classroom, its happens OTJ,  I think of the same thing, Management / Leadership is a learned activity through experience, not by books, classrooms, or examinations..

we need to think up one of these..

The continuing ed requirement was my one big hangup in getting the cert. Although my employers has a ton of free classes that I can submit in lieu of their $ classes, so it's not a huge deal. I just have to remember to log the hours on the PMI website when I complete them.

Also, a lot of the costs are reduced if you have a PMI membership. It's like $130/year but it saved me over $200 on the exam alone.

honestly, the original (and still most prominent) reason I got the cert was because I wanted my business cards to say pimp. That's why my tagline is that I'm most likely to be arrested for PMP'n my PE-ness

rumor is that a lot of State DOT's are making this a "preference", the company will pay for it, I just hate spending time on something that I don't personally put a lot of value in

rumor is that a lot of State DOT's are making this a "preference", the company will pay for it, I just hate spending time on something that I don't personally put a lot of value in

Yeah, this is hard to answer. For me it was about checking a box. When someone is looking for a resume (and thus a person to work on a project) they will think of me if the client has a preference towards PMP holders since we do a lot of projects with government. I also did it so when raises, promos, transfers, etc. come around, it might mean a differentiation between me and someone else. 

I made a couple other PMP posts on this board back when everything was still fresh over the summer when I took it. I like to think what I wrote is pure gold, so go read some of that.

It took me about 9 months to get it, but its because the class work offered was offered after work in 1 hour time blocks, so it took like 19 weeks to complete. Then I am doing an masters on the side, so that got in the way of studying, so I did the studying between spring and summer classes. Actively I only spent 3 weeks, but the calendar says 9 months.

I'm a "keep learning" kinda guy.  Having just passed the PE, I already know that the PMP will be next up for me to tackle, though I don't know when just yet.  Anyone with both the PE and PMP want to comment as to how long it was for you between these two certs. and why?
Oh yeah, schedule the test before you really start studying. This might be before or after the class depending on how useful you think the class will be to you.

(you need to take the class before you can apply for the Cert).
In your opinion was the in-person class worth the time? My employer offers online classes to meet the ed requirement for the PMP, and its free to go that route. A couple people at my work went that way and got their PMP. I just got done doing the LEED AP and just read the book and passed, is it more difficult than that?

I liked the class, but it was expensive (company paid though).  It was 4 full days, but there were only 6 of us there so we got a lot of quality discussion and more of a one-on-one learning experience.  I would recommend it. I tend to not like online classes though.

In your opinion was the in-person class worth the time? My employer offers online classes to meet the ed requirement for the PMP, and its free to go that route. A couple people at my work went that way and got their PMP. I just got done doing the LEED AP and just read the book and passed, is it more difficult than that?
IMHO: Spend as little money on the class as possible (especially if you are a book reader). If classes are taken through your employer for free do that, doesn't matter the quality. You can EASILY learn everything you need to pass by reading the Rita Mulcahy book. There is an activity near the front of the book with the index cards. That is probably the most helpful thing, if you can master that activity, you could probably answer 30% of the test on that alone.

Also forget the ITTOs, you don't need to know them or learn them. If you understand what is actually happening in each stage of the process, you don't need to memorize the ITTOs. It'd probably be impossible to straight up memorize those things. ITTOs are okay for learning each process, but pointless to memorize. I don't think Rita's book actually talks about ITTOs specifically, except to say they are pointless.

Spend time with Rita's Process Chart. It will be much more helpful to you in the end.

The most helpful piece I took away from the class I took was that the PMP is entirely academic and is based entirely in a perfect world.  Forget "real life" management. Every item follows a very procedural step by step progression. One person per role, one step at a time.

The most helpful piece I took away from the class I took was that the PMP is entirely academic and is based entirely in a perfect world.  Forget "real life" management. Every item follows a very procedural step by step progression. One person per role, one step at a time.
This reminds of Pem-Bob (a pun on the PMBOK). There is another thread that I wrote about Pem-Bob that you might want to read. But Pem-Bob is the perfect project manager, he follows the PMBOK to the letter. He doesn't begin a project until he has a project charter. He estimates perfectly, he never starts on a change until after it is approved. His scheduling and reporting are clear. And he records everything at the appropriate times and documents as a part of the project close-out. Clearly Pem-Bob is fictional, but in situational questions, it is not about what you would do so you don't get fired. It is what Pem-Bob would do because he is the 'perfect' project manager (who wouldn't be able to hold a job).

I, too, have been considering getting PMP-certified. Though I still have survey to pass before becoming licensed, I plan on studying for both the PP and survey this spring. I've already taken a Project Managemet Application Workshop through my work, which qualifies for the required 40(?) hours of education units in order to take the exam. I'll be sure to follow this thread.

Few tips for PMP hopefuls (I might make a thread on PMP studying):

1) Buy the Rita book; work thru it once cover to cover and work the practice problems at the end of each section as a simulated exam (don't use the book as a reference). Take a break from the book (week or so) and then work thru it again. You should have improved a lot. 

2) Buy access to www.pmstudy.com to work problems. These were very similar to the actual exam.

3) Take the Oliver Lehmann exam (75 questions) in a simulated situation: http://www.oliverlehmann.com/pmp-self-test/75-free-questions.htm. Consider his other questions (at cost) if you need more practice. His problems are tough but are good (kinda like Lindbugh).

4) Make flash cards of all the terms used throughout the Rita book (example: parametric estimate vs analogous estimate). Memorize all the terms and different mini-processes (example: steps required for Risk management). I carried the flash cards with me everywhere and practiced before bed. By the exam I memorized over 100 flash cards; this helped A LOT of the exam. I wish I still had them so I could make an iPhone app!

You should be OK if you do all this. I also recommend joining PMI to get the exam fee discount. 

Cupojoe's advice (Pem-Bob) is very good. You need to break bad habits you have and need to really think the way PMI wants you to think about project management. You will appreciate the "right way" to manage a project during studying and if you can understand the whole big picture of project management thru the different phases then you are ready to take the exam.

Few tips for PMP hopefuls (I might make a thread on PMP studying):

1) Buy the Rita book; work thru it once cover to cover and work the practice problems at the end of each section as a simulated exam (don't use the book as a reference). Take a break from the book (week or so) and then work thru it again. You should have improved a lot. 

2) Buy access to www.pmstudy.com to work problems. These were very similar to the actual exam.

3) Take the Oliver Lehmann exam (75 questions) in a simulated situation: http://www.oliverlehmann.com/pmp-self-test/75-free-questions.htm. Consider his other questions (at cost) if you need more practice. His problems are tough but are good (kinda like Lindbugh).

4) Make flash cards of all the terms used throughout the Rita book (example: parametric estimate vs analogous estimate). Memorize all the terms and different mini-processes (example: steps required for Risk management). I carried the flash cards with me everywhere and practiced before bed. By the exam I memorized over 100 flash cards; this helped A LOT of the exam. I wish I still had them so I could make an iPhone app!

You should be OK if you do all this. I also recommend joining PMI to get the exam fee discount. 

Cupojoe's advice (Pem-Bob) is very good. You need to break bad habits you have and need to really think the way PMI wants you to think about project management. You will appreciate the "right way" to manage a project during studying and if you can understand the whole big picture of project management thru the different phases then you are ready to take the exam.
Agreed.  The PMI membership is $125 but it knocks something like $200 off the exam fee.

My employer is requiring all of their Project Managers to obtain this certification.  I am not in favor but I realize this is only because of my age and proximity to permanent retirement.  But on the flip side; no promotional opportunities or raises without it.  My employer will pay for all the testing and pay me my regular salary during the course and test period days.

Just another set of initials behind my name for which I will need annual continuing education credits.

A number of PMP's are convinced the only benefit of this certification is for the PMI who reaps all the profits from classes, testing, and re-certification.  The fact that my employer has a 100% pass rate, including employees who are not currently a Project Manager but who are hoping to be one some day, speaks reams about the exam and rigor of learning required.

Back