MD Mechanical Exam Study Materials

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffHubbard

Reaction score
For those of you that passed the MD Mechanical exam, what other books/reference material did you use for studying, other than the MERM?

Thanks

I used MERM, SMS and NCEES practice exam + DTC review course and DTC notes...I would give more credit to the DTC course and notes than the other material that I used. Please let me know if you have any specific question.

I would plus one Dr. Tom and the NCEES practice exam.

I studied Thermal and Fluids and only used those same three items. 

I didn't take any Dr. Tom's class or buy any notes. As I didn't pass the first time, the second time, I bought shigley mechanical design book and 2008 version sample questions. You don't need to buy the lastest Shigley mechanical design book which ask for 200$. Instead I bought the one which is published in 1973 and it has all the similar questions in the exam. For the NCEES sample questions books, I think 2008 is more useful than the current ones sold by NCEES.

Used:

1. MERM13 (for 90% of test)
  2. Shigley 5th
  3. MERM index printed out and bound (used this way more than I thought I would)
  4. Lindburgh unit conversions (removed spine and rebound with spiral -- now lays flat when open)
  5. Roarks Formulas for Stress and Strain (shortcut to indeterminate beams)

Brought but didn't use:

1. Cameron Hydraulic (prob more helpful for TFS exam)
  2. Marks Handbook
  3. Machinerys Handbook
  4. AGMA 2000
  5. Dictionary
  6. MERM Quick reference
  7. MERM companion problems (although awesome for studying)
  8. Extra psych charts I found (prob more helpful for HVAC exam)

Back