4 Year Experience Requirement Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockyTop PE

Reaction score
Hi All!

First post here, but I have been following the engineering board for a while now.  I applied to take the PE in April 2016 and was denied due to being 19 days short on 4 years of experience.  I was approved to take the October 2016 exam, but the licensing board wouldn't budge on me taking the exam in April 2016.  Has anyone else had any experience with this?  I understand 4 years is well, 4 years, but it is confusing to me considering anyone who graduates on time in May and then starts working immediately ends up having to work 4.5 years or more before they can take the exam in October.  Thoughts?

Matt

It might not be worth fighting. They had to draw the line somewhere and 4 yrs was it. It does suck to miss it by a few weeks though. Use the extra time wisely and pass it in October 2016.

I agree that it isn't worth fighting just frustrating considering I'm getting married a month before the exam.  THAT will be the fun part ha.

You can do all your studying as if you were taking in April and be VERY well prepared come Oct.  Count that a blessing in disguise.

You can do all your studying as if you were taking in April and be VERY well prepared come Oct.  Count that a blessing in disguise.
Yeah, Matt knows all about the extra 6 months.

Depends on the state. What state are you in?

I was able to take it early in New Mexico. I work in both Texas and New Mexico.  Texas wont allow it, New Mexico would so I apply and tested there.

Hi All!

First post here, but I have been following the engineering board for a while now.  I applied to take the PE in April 2016 and was denied due to being 19 days short on 4 years of experience.  I was approved to take the October 2016 exam, but the licensing board wouldn't budge on me taking the exam in April 2016.  Has anyone else had any experience with this?  I understand 4 years is well, 4 years, but it is confusing to me considering anyone who graduates on time in May and then starts working immediately ends up having to work 4.5 years or more before they can take the exam in October.  Thoughts?

Matt
Does the 4 years of experience have to be obtained only after BS graduation?

I  think It is not a straight forward count from your graduation date to the PE Exam date. It counts your total engineering work days through your application submission date. The is because someone may not work or loss job after the submission of application. So, the time elapsed between the application submission date and PE exam date is not counted as experience by some states. Having said that a May graduated will be a few months short of experience rather than a few weeks. So, take that extra six months and excel in the first attempt.

I'm in Tennessee and I hadn't thought of the fact that "4 years experience" is when you apply not when you take the exam...that makes sense to me.

Hi All!

Matt
I also wouldn't push back too hard on this.  There are a lot of students that complete college in May and have to wait until October (+4 years) to take the exam.  I think it would be nice to see the exams pushed back until May/November to allow taking the exam sooner, but there must a reason they don't.

depends on the state...some count internships some dont some have restrictions some dont
I agree.  In Ohio, they have exceptions (buried in the Laws and Rules) to allow a person to gain experience prior to graduation from College.  However, you must have passed the FE exam first.   You can receive "[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]not more than two years of which may be before college graduation but after completion of the second year of college, indicating that the applicant is competent to be placed in responsible charge of such work".  [/COLOR]

I had an internship in college after passing the FE exam, but was not directly supervised by a PE so I was unable to use the experience unfortunately.

I passed the FE in 2001, graduated college in 2004, applied for the PE in 2010.  I was working the whole time.  I included on my PE application all of my experience - before graduation, and after.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Back