October 2015 Exam (To take or not to take?...)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKRaid_09

Reaction score
Looking for some advice/comments on my present situation:

I am registered for the October 2015 exam. I've taken it twice already. I've been studying fairly steadily since late July. I've taken a review class and have been practicing problems on my own 1-2 hours a night and 4 hours on Sat/Sun. I've taken 3 practice exams so far. Although I've seen significant improvement from exam 1 to exam 3, I still haven't achieved what I think is a passing score. My last exam was in the low 60 percent. I'm contemplating continuing to work problems and do practice exams until April 2016 and give myself the best chance of passing. On the other hand, I don't want to continue stalling and want to get it over with and move on to better things. What are your thoughts on this situation?

Appreciate all the comments.

Take the exam. You've already prepared and paid for it. At best you pass the exam and don't have to go through this again. At worst you fail BUT you gain additional practice, exam experience, and another opportunity to determine how you should prepare for the exam.

What exam are you taking? ME, CE, EE etc.?

If you do fail you should seriously examine your current study practices and determine what you need to change. There's a ton of information on this board as well as some folks who have experience taking the exam multiple times. Make sure you solicit all advice and come up with a study plan if you will be taking the April 2016.

In Ga we get 4 consecutive attempts, so if we miss one or two , they still count.

Like Ramnares said, you already paid for it and have put in all that time studying, might as well give it a shot.

Not to sound like a jerk, but I'm not sure what would lead someone to ask strangers on the internet if you are prepared for the exam. Only you can decide if you have truly changed your study approach and spent the time and effort required to pass. That being said, you probably aren't getting a refund at this point, so you might as well do it. The only argument I could see for not taking it is if you are in a state that penalizes you for not passing, but I don't think there are many of these states. But if your attitude is "F-it, let's see how I do this time," you may not be having Merry Christmas. Ok, maybe I do sound like a jerk.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've already paid for the exam I would take it, its the best form of practice..

Does CA limit your number of attempts? Like SW said some states, Like Ga give you 4 consecutive attempts, whether you actually take the exam or not and then you have to do college study before retaking..

ahh I forget its the West Coast, I think it was enforced in Georgia by Ga Tech grads who think if you cant pass on the first try you should quit your job and become a janitor

Back