So.. RG needs a CA PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
I haven't studied since 2005 when I passed the PE, talk to me about what I need to do for this seismic & survey nonsense?

Is this a study once a week and a few hours on the weekend type test(s) or do I need to go full Monty?

Any help or advice appreciated!!!

I haven't studied since 2005 when I passed the PE, talk to me about what I need to do for this seismic & survey nonsense?

Is this a study once a week and a few hours on the weekend type test(s) or do I need to go full Monty?

Any help or advice appreciated!!!
I have discussed this in depth over the years in multiple threads but, for you RG, I will repeat. ;) Consider the CA-Seis and the CA-Surv to each need about 1/2 to 2/3 the study/prep time that the 8hr takes. So, if you were a 300 hour 8hr guy, figure 150 to 200 hours for each of the CA exams. You're roadway so I suspect, Survey will come pretty easy for you and Seismic might be more challenging (that's how it was for me).

Let me know if I can help in any way.

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=25246

ugh....

I don't remember how many hours for the PE, but it was ALOT, plus I was a C student :D

I passed the LSIT many years ago, I am hoping that I only need to brush up on that portion (survey)

at first glance I thought RG was looking for a cape. Wasn't sure if it was a new house or if he was trying to upgrade his superhero status.

IMO the most difficult aspect of these tests is not the material, but the clock. 55 questions in 2.5 hours will have you sweating. My advice would be to mark down answers on questions you skip because you wont have time to circle back and click through them all quickly. Took all three first time in April, passed 8 hour and Surveying, failed Seismic. Retaking Seismic this Fall. 8 hour was a cake walk compared to these 2 tests IMO.

IMO the most difficult aspect of these tests is not the material, but the clock. 55 questions in 2.5 hours will have you sweating. My advice would be to mark down answers on questions you skip because you wont have time to circle back and click through them all quickly. Took all three first time in April, passed 8 hour and Surveying, failed Seismic. Retaking Seismic this Fall. 8 hour was a cake walk compared to these 2 tests IMO.
This is very true. The enemy of the CA Surv and Seis exams is TIME! But, with that said, the level of knowledge needed for these exams is not overly deep. These are "principles" type exams. For the most part, no one problem is that excessively difficult (if it is, move on!). And, while the limited exam time feels (and is!) a huge impediment, remember all examinees have the same constraint and, thus, the required passing score percent reflects this challenge (~55%). So focus and prepare for these exams by practicing your speed. IMO the CA Surv was cake, the NCEES was medium, and the CA Seis was a nut buster.

Back